Reunion | Teen Ink

Reunion

By staceylyn SILVER, Fountain Valley, California
staceylyn SILVER, Fountain Valley, California

“We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness—and call it love—true love.”

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”

She's wearing grey.
That's the first thing that crosses my mind as she hoists herself up onto the ledge outside and pulls out a book, wearing an airy grey dress and grey boots with frayed laces. All grey. No white. But no black.

She's happy.
That's the first thing that crosses my mind as I sit next to her and gently touch her arm, altering her to my presence. Her arm, pale and scarless, holding a silver bracelet, not a number or a judgement. She looks up at me and smiles. A warm, genuine, beautiful smile.

She remembers me.
That's the first thing that crosses my mind as her eyes meet mine. She has eyes like kaleidoscopes. A tear appears and slowly falls down her cheek. "I missed you," she whispers. "I missed you too," I nod, trying to suppress the tears threatening to escape my own eyes. Boys don't cry, I scold myself, but the tears come anyway.

She's here.
That's the first thing that crosses my mind as she kisses me. Slowly, passionately, savoring every second, breathing it all in. "You're here. You're real. You're here," she repeats softly. "Yes. I'm here. I'm real. I'm here," I whisper, stroking her soft brown hair. And in the silent euphoria, I know she knows that I'll always be here.

The short tale of a girl who is finally emerging from depression after time in a psychiatric ward, and of her reunion with the boy who loves her dearly.