The Sympathetic Doctor | Teen Ink

The Sympathetic Doctor

By senior2015 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
senior2015 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

The little boy, trembling,cold, scared, and in pain sat in the scary, white room, on the hospital bed. Just an hour before this, he was having the time of his life sledding down the big hill in his back yard with his best friend Jack. He was going down the hill at a high speeds and little did he know there was a rock waiting for him halfway down the hill. He hit that rock and flew into the air landing him on a chunk of ice and causing his head to crack open.
The nurse came into the room and examined the wound. It was only a crack about an inch long and rather deep, but not dangerously deep. She did not seem too worried, or nice for that matter. She had a stern, bored look on her face and looked in a rush to leave. She quickly put some gauze on it to stop the bleeding and walked out of the room.
The child was scared and wanted some reassurance other than his parents telling him it was okay. Twenty minutes later, a tall, young woman, with a soft looking face walks in. She goes up to the trembling, cold, scared boy, holds his hand and says...
“Think of this as a war wound.” “You were fighting in battle and you got caught off guard, disarmed and cut by a heavy, magic sword!” This made the boy smile. Suddenly, he forget about the pain, what would happen next, and if he was going to be okay not. He finally felt at ease, stopped trembling, warmed up, and became calm all because the sympathetic, doctor he met that day.