Instances | Teen Ink

Instances MAG

By Mabish3 SILVER, Stratford, Connecticut
Mabish3 SILVER, Stratford, Connecticut

It took me 15 years and 364 days to turn 16, three tries to pass my driving test, and several months of nonsense to finally earn the right to drive on my own.

It takes a song and a half to get out of the school’s hellish parking lot at the end of the day, until the second chorus of “Sweet Child O’ Mine” to reach the first traffic light, and more or less half of any album in my collection to get home.

It takes an instant to lose everything.

Not one of those commercial instants either: Lose ten pounds instantly! Regrow a full head of hair in an instant! In an instant, that troublesome fungus will disappear! When those people use the word instant, it means at least a minute, or, if they don’t mind lying to the public, days or more. I don’t imply, and I don’t lie. When I use the word instant, I mean a fraction of a second. I mean less than a heartbeat.

I mean my head through the windshield, my mouth still open from singing along to whatever song I was listening to the instant before.

It wasn’t even my fault, not really. I suppose I could have chosen a safer car, but when deciding between a bunch of safety features I might never even need and CDs I would absolutely want in the next year or two, my judgment was not at its best. I blame the economy, and the constant civil war between heart and head. I blame The Killers for coming out with a new album every five minutes, and statistics that say I would probably never die in a crash anyway.

Come to think of it, the accident wasn’t even the other driver’s fault. I would probably run a red light if I were late for a dentist appointment too. Maybe not one at a busy intersection, but who’s to say it wasn’t a really important appointment? Perhaps he was getting a new filling. Yeah, I’d race across the road with no regard for traffic in my 2004 pickup for that, too, especially if there was nothing in my way except a wimpy ’98 Civic. Because I would be the only person on the road. Every other car would be driven by a robot, a drone that doesn’t matter in my world. The only thing that would matter to me is being on time for my appointment.

Like him, I too would be surprised when, after stepping out of my barely scratched vehicle, I saw the other car scrunched up like an accordion, like a piece of paper balled up and thrown against the side of the street. I would be shocked to see blood on the shards of glass strewn about the pavement because apparently I hadn’t realized running that light meant plowing into the Civic, which would lead to crushing the 17-year-old inside it. The 17-year-old who just wanted to listen to The Smiths while driving home.

Maybe I’m being too bitter about all of it. After all, the other driver did stand by while someone else called 911, waited patiently while the paramedics extricated me from my mangled vehicle, and even went through the trouble of leaving a note of apology beside my bed in the hospital. I, of course, wouldn’t know of his contributions to my well-being until after I woke up from the coma a week and a half later.

I sure hope his dentist was a good sport about rescheduling.

little.miss.mars SILVER, Darien, Illinois
I really did like this story, and how you totally expected her to be the one to have the totaled car and dead. I love stories with the twists at the end :)

DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

i cant put my hand on it, but there is somthing about this article that makes it different and AMAZING! is it point of view?

SilentOwl said...
SilentOwl, Ayr, Other
I LOVED this piece; the sarcasm was so well used, and I just adored every sentence.

Amsterdamsel DIAMOND, Henderson , Nevada
i love it. i ant expectng it so itwas awesome.

somethingprofoundprobably BRONZE, Nyack, New York
I enjoy this piece of writing a lot. I thought you thought it through very well, and I really love the idea of it!

horse95lover BRONZE, New York, New York

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

this is so great!

AnnaNana PLATINUM, Corinth, Mississippi

Live the way you die- All of a sudden: That's the way to go.

Wow! i loved it! Im a super sarcastisc person so I loved the sarcarsm and the end sentence was perfect. But  you made a point to! Great job!

Cuore GOLD said...
Cuore GOLD, Saint Augustine, Florida

Be the change you wish to see- Ghandi

Everything in this room is eatable, even I'm eatable, but that my dears is called cannibalism and is highly frowned upon in most societies.- Willy Wonka

Bright lights often blind those who can't see. ~

Wow. I thought she'd dided for a while there. That was really good.

Striker GOLD said...
Striker GOLD, Wichita, Kansas

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who care about you and forget about those who don't."

Really good and kind of funny. I love how you ended it. It was awsome.

Piccalily_Potter GOLD, Staffordshire, Other
wow! this is amazing! I love that last sentence!

Grrcya BRONZE said...
Grrcya BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Ouch. Very bitter. I like.

DaisyC. said...
DaisyC., North Bennington, Vermont
Same here. Great work!!

SandyC SILVER said...
SandyC SILVER, Concord, Other

"In the end it won't matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away"

your intro and conclusion were incredible..but thats not saying the rest wasn't..on the contrary, i loved the body of your story. I especially love the sarcastic tone with which you write...overall, and amazing piece of writing..keep it up!!:)

Wellington BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Richard M. Nixon

its very well written.....i really like this, and i just wanted to say that i absolutely love The Smiths! 

Charlotte_Bukowski SILVER, Austin, Texas
Very, very well-written. Your introduction is what hooked me; I enjoyed how you used concrete, alloted time intervals (CD's, songs) on an abstract theme such as time. There was a certain dry wit throughout the piece that somehow managed to soften the horrid event yet at the same time bring more attention to its severity. Exceptional work!

monicalillian SILVER, Holladay, Utah

"forgive your enemies, nothing bugs them more."

i like it, it kinda makes me think about an instant but then goes into depth in the later paragraphs. It almost literally pulled me into the story please keep writing youre fabulous.

deardiary BRONZE, Saskatoon, Other

It is a truth universally acknowedged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. -Pride and Prejudice

i love ur introduction. the first sentence deffinetly cot my attention :)

sasssgirrrl22 PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York

"Giving up is not a part of my vocabulary."
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
"Truth be told I miss ya, truth be told I'm lying."

whoa very creative. it kept me drawn in from the beginning. i luuv it plz keep writing!!

alwayswriting14 SILVER, Northport, New York

"Everything makes sense yet nothing makes sense."

It was a really creative way to write the story! I really liked it- it held my attention the entire time.

Waterlogged BRONZE, Grapevine, Texas

"Winston, you are drunk." To which Churchill responded, "and you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I'll be sober,"-Lady Astor and Winston Churchill

This was really good! I really liked the way the emotion and the sarcasm was intertwined!