My Hunt | Teen Ink

My Hunt

December 2, 2008
By Anonymous

One time when I was hunting in the woods, by my homestead, the scariest thing happened to me. What I am about to tell you is a memory that I will never forget until I die. It was the first time I ever faced a bear, and I was between it and its cubs. It was the angriest
bear I have ever seen.

The story goes like this: I was hunting in a low tree stand and it was getting dark, then I heard some crashing in the woods. I thought it was a deer so I waited and waited and waited. It kept crashing around in the woods by my bait. It was dark now so I got down and began walking out then, I saw it: a bear and two cubs. The cubs climbed up a tree on the right and the big mama was on the left. She had to weigh about 300 pounds and I was scared. She came after me, fast. I tried to pull back my bow but she was too fast, so dropped my bow, but kept my arrow in hand.
I climbed the nearest tree, and on my way up I saw the beast hot on my tail. After I got up the tree a good 15 feet, the branch I had my hand on broke. I jumped from that pine tree without thinking, and landed. I then climbed the next closest pine tree. I was about 10 feet up and there was a space where there were no branches. I was stuck as that bear came at full speed up my tree and got hold of my boot. I stabbed her in the nose with my arrow. As I watched my G5 broad head sink into its nose, she, fell dragging me with her. I got up in time to see the bear run away whimpering.
Then I ran all the way home. Luckily I was safe, with only a few scratches and bruises. The next day, my dad and I retrieved my bow.

From that day on I never go hunting without a pistol on aim and pepper spray and never will. I still like hunting and, when something comes in when it is getting dark, a cold shiver crawls up my spine, and I get ready with my pepper spray. I advise everybody who hunts where bears live to take pepper spray with them. I also don’t get down from my stand when I hear something in the brush. This is the scariest thing that ever happened to me; it is a memory I will never forget.