The Dare | Teen Ink

The Dare

November 15, 2008
By Anonymous

You know, I could think of a very long list of things that I would rather be doing right nw. For example, getting all of my precious hair ferociously ripped out of my head, having my toes run over by a sixteen wheeler, being stranded in the girl’s locker room naked ... the list just goes on and on. The reason I am willing to do all of these things is because I, Jennifer Katherine Christner, am actually going through with this. What?, you ask. Well, it will be easier if I first tell you the story. Exactly one week ago today, I was challenged by one of my best friends, Elizabeth, to do something drastic and out of my comfort zone. “Easy”, I thought as I casually accepted. I would just dye my hair black or something , and that would be that. But no, she had some rules for this little gesture of hers. 1) There was no getting out of this 2) I wasn’t going to take the easy way out of the dare , and 3) SHE was going to decide if it was ludicrous enough to pass her standards. Oh Geez! I fell for one of her infamous ruses. So, as we sat on my cheezy- puff stained bed comforter, I brain stormed, and tried to come up with a bunch of ideas to throw out as options for my task. After contemplating numerous attempts on my part, Elizabeth still didn’t agree with any of them. And, by the next day at school, after hours of trying to please her, I was done trying to muster up any more. In my frustration, I begged her to just “pick something already!” Worst. Mistake. Ever. “Okay”, she piped, as she flashed a devious, yet happy, smile. “I want you to audition for the lead role in the school musical!” “But, but...”, I couldn’t speak. What had I done!? “Please no! Elizabeth anything but that.” Sadly, my argument would not prevail. You see, all of this is what has led up to me, here on this stage, under the hot, bright, lights and approaching the mic stand. One of my biggest fears. Ugh, I think I’m going to be sick! Okay, okay calm down, “Just breathe.” Here goes nothing...


The author's comments:
Well, I tried out for the school play a few weeks ago.. and it got me thinking about all the other people auditioning and why they might be doing it, so i decided to make up a story about someone who is forced to try out.