The Caster's Spell Book | Teen Ink

The Caster's Spell Book

February 15, 2013
By NatetheTV BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah
NatetheTV BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Caster’s Spell Book





“Race yah there!” Abby shouted, and the girls darted out into the street. Abby’s long and dark brown hair flew behind her like a cape, and Alyss close behind her. They were heading to the old library down the block from the school, and Abby was determined to finally beat her friend in a race. Feeling her adrenaline pump, she darted toward the door, and ran straight into it, tumbling backward onto the ground from the impact.

“Maybe take it a little slower next time, Abby.” Said Alyss, as she slowed down and slumped down with her friend.

“I just can’t believe I beat you.” She replied.

“Well, you won, so good job. Now let’s go get out books.”

The girls stood up and walked through the big wooden doors of the library. It was a tall and dark building, made of rough bricks. Some of the windows were broken, and others were boarded up. The two friends stared in awe at the massive building inside. It had a rounded roof with bookshelves reaching up to it, and a rough carpet that felt like stone but burned like rope. To their right was a long round desk.

“Good evening ladies.” Said an elderly gentleman. He had suddenly appeared right next to the girls, as if out of nowhere.

“Ah! I mean uh, hi.” Said Alyss, startled by his presence.

“Me and my friend here need to grab some books for a report on the medieval era. Can you help us?”exclaimed Abby, a bit scared as well.

“Follow me.” He grunted. They walked a ways, and finally came to a section where the man seemed satisfied.

“Come to the front desk when you have found your books.” He said, and then left.

“I’ll explore this end, and you can check the other.” Said Abby, and started off looking for books. She searched for a bit, when a slim book caught her sight. It had no title, and it looked old. She pulled it out and found it had a leather cover, with a few strange symbols written on the front of it. Curious, she opened it up, and flipped through the pages. Each page had a title at the top, but it was always strange, like “Entangle” or “Flame Burst.”

“It must be a spell book.” Abby said aloud in aw, and her eyes widened. She always had an interest in magic items, and doing a report from this book would be fun. She grabbed it and found a few others, then walked over to the checkout booth. No one was there, but she figured there was a bell or something to call him. She walked up to the desk and set her books on the counter. She saw no bell, and looked around to see nothing. When she turned back, the gentleman she saw before was behind the desk.

“About time.” He mumbled, “ Do you have all your books?”

Abby jumped. “Uh, yah. Here.” She was about to hand them her books when he stopped her.
“Where did you get that necklace?” He asked.
“Oh, my mother gave it to me, before she…” She stopped short.
“I see…” he whispered quietly as Abby reached her hand for the locket and held it tight. It was all she had left of her mother, who passed away when she was very young. Inside of it was a family picture of her, me, and my dad. They were next to each other, and I was in the middle, being held by both their arms.
“Can I see your books now? He asked politely. Abby woke up from her trance and handed the books to him. He checked the books, and stopped on the one with the strange symbols on it.

“Do you know what this book is young girl?” He asked, still eyed on the book.

“Yah, it’s a spell book isn’t it?”

“It is indeed. Be careful with this. Never read these words aloud. Do you understand?” His voice was firm.

“Yes sir.” Abby said, a bit scared from his reaction.

“Good girl, now go home and read. Come back in a week or I’m charging you for extra time.”

“Ok. Bye!” She said. She waved Alyss goodbye, and started on walking home. In her hand, the spell book gave off a faint orange glow, and then abruptly stopped.


Later that night, Abby was lying in her bed, exploring the new books. The locket was still on her neck, as she never took it off in any circumstance. She came on to the spell book, and remembered the librarian’s words: “Be careful with this. Never read these words aloud. Do you understand?” He had said. Of course, Abby had answered yes, and she wasn’t one to break promises. She flipped through the pages, reading some here and there, but one page caught her eye.

“Greene loco Vinea.” She read aloud. She had forgotten everything at this point, and was so intrigued in the book and began to read aloud.

“To cast, gesture hand in an upwards motion, and say the words; Comodo de Vinea.” She whispered, and without knowing it, made the hand gesture that was given. Slowly, her hand began to glow, and the book as well, but she didn’t notice it, and kept reading.

“Will turn the room a user is standing into a green shrine, and will turn all living things in the area into Vinea, and will do so to the user if not used properly. However, the new Vinea will obey any command by the user, no matter the current state.” By now her hand was brightly shining, and Abby turned to see it, and fear struck her face as she realized what happened. The light burst, and caused Abby to fall over her bed, and she passed out, and lay there, as a small vine started to grow out of the book. It slowly started to grow, and it crawled over Abby, across the room, engulfing it with green.


She woke up to a beautiful morning. The sun shone through her bedroom window in her upstairs bedroom, and sleepily, she went over to push the vines aside so the sun came through completely. Wait a second, vines?

“Ah!” She screamed, fully awake. “What happened?” She looked around the room, and everywhere you looked was green. There were grass leaves on the floor, mixed with dirt and other things. Flowers grew out of some of the corners of the room, and the walls were draped with vines. In the middle of it all was the book, sitting on her bed with small vines growing from it, and they connected to every vine in the room.

“The spell book isn’t a fake.” She gasped in awe,” Amazing.” She studied the room some more, and then came to the large mirror that hang on her wall. She was covered head to toe in plants. On top her head a vine grew from the center, and her feet up to her knee was dirt. It didn’t even seem there was any flesh under the dirt. She poked her finger at it, to find that it went all the way through. She jumped back, and then looked at the mirror to finish examining herself. The vines that grew from her head were draped over her body, but very few were actually hanging, it was stuck to her body like sap. Wait a second. Sap? She had never used that term before. She looked up and down, but when her eyes came to her neck, she saw nothing. Her locket was gone!
“Where is it!” She screamed. She searched the room frantically, but could not find it. She looked everywhere, and when she turned her gaze towards the book, she saw it floating just above it. She scratched at the invisible field, trying to grab it. She finally came to her senses and realized; something happened when she read that spell. It had come to life. Everything happened. It was unbelievable. And then she remembered.

“Wait, I must be a Vinea.” She said calmly.”What exactly is it though?” She looked toward the book, and jumped toward it. As her hands came close to it, the bounced back, as if there was a force field around it. She couldn’t touch it. No matter how hard she tried, it wasn’t possible.

“Dad!” She shouted, hoping he would have some kind of explanation, but knew it was less likely. She searched around some more for the locket, when her father entered through the room. His eyes filled with terror at the sight of it, and nearly ran, but were barely able to recognize his little girl.

“I, uh,” He started out. “Like the new outfit sweetie. And the new decoration in your room. Have you taken something to plants lately?” He asked, quite unsure about what happened.

“Daddy, please listen to me. I went to the library yesterday and the old man lent me a book of spells. I’m unsure on what I did though, but I think I cast a spell that did all this.”

Her father was curious, but yet so frightened. His daughter was all he had left of his passed on wife, and losing her meant… Never mind that. He was a history teacher at Treetop High school, and had never seen anything like this. It couldn’t be true. It just couldn’t! After a long pause, Abby finally spoke.

“Wait a sec.” She said, “The librarian even warned me about the book. He might know how to undo the spell!” She said, quietly, but then grew to a loud yelling.

“Wha?” Said her father, still dumbstruck by the happenings.

“Daddy, we need to get to the library, I’m sure the librarian has an answer. Let’s get moving.”

They started moving out, but before Abby touched the door, she was bounced back. Not roughly, but it kept her in the bedroom.

“Oh no! I can’t leave the green shrine. Daddy, you need to go and find Alyss, then go to the library with her. Ask the librarian about Vinea. Now go!” Abby screamed. Her dad ran down the stairs and out the door. He did come back and grabbed his coat, but then he was out.


“Please sir, you’ve got to help us.” Said Abby’s father. He was at the library with Alyss, and they were pleading the librarian to help them.

“I can’t! I haven’t studied used magic for years! The old librarian shouted back. There was a quiet pause, and then finally, Alyss spoke.

“Sir, you have got to help us!” She pleaded, “Abby spoke something about Vinea!”

The librarian stopped. He remembered the danger of Vinea.

“I’ll help. I won’t like it, but it’s our only chance.” He said. He gestured them to follow, and they flew down the aisles until finally, the librarian found his book. They sat down at one of the circular tables in the library, and he flipped through the pages until he found what he was looking for.

“Here.” He said, “Vinea, deadly plant creatures that have been known to kill wizards. The spell must be stopped. From what I hear and the list of spells on this page, she must have used the Greene loco Vinea Spell. It turns the room the user is standing in into a green shrine, which is where Vinea are usually found. Once they find a shrine, they cannot leave it, which is why your daughter isn’t here. Let’s look up the page of Greene loco Vinea.” He flipped through until he found it.

“Here it is. Let’s see, to cast say bla bla bla, ah here it is. If the user does not perform the spell correctly, the spell will either fail, or work properly, but the user will turn to Vinea, so that must have been what happened.”

“So where does it say how to, uh, “decast”, the spell?” Asked Abby’s dad.

“That’s simple, all we have to do is close the book. However, the spell effects remain forever if not closed within 48 hours. And judging right now when she cast the spell, we have 24 hours to stop it.” He said.

“It’s all the easy?” said Alyss, mildly confused.

“Not really. We have two things stopping us. One is that she could be a Vinea already, or taken by the effects of it and attack us. That wouldn’t be good. Number two is that closing the book will take great effort. This particular spell takes the one most precious item from the user, and uses it as a protection force so that it is not closed.” He said.

“Wait, I saw.” Said Abby’s father, “Floating above the book was her mother’s locket. That is what the book took. How do we close it then?”

“Again, not so simple. The one she truly loves must take the item, and then the user must close the book herself.”

“I could take the locket out.” Abby’s dad went on, “She loves me the most, I’m her only family.”

“Then let’s get moving.” Butted Alyss.

The room was now even worse. Dirt smeared the floor, and there were now trees growing here and there, but the book was still in the middle, with the locket. However, Abby was nowhere to be found.

“Careful!” Whispered the librarian, “She is hiding amongst this growth. Be cautious.” He said. They tip-toed in, being sure to make the least amount noise as possible. Her father saw the book, with the locket above it. He careful crept over, and swooped down to grab the locket. It went firmly into his hands, with almost no force at all.

“Huh, well that wasn’t so bad.” He said. But just then, Abby swooped down from the ceiling and tackled her father, laying him on the ground. She made a gnashing sound with her teeth, which shown to be now pointed. She examined her father, deciding if he was worth eating or not. Then she looked in his hand and saw the locket. Anger rolled in her eyes, with the illusion that he was stealing it from her. She snarled, then started gnashing her teeth out at him, and fear flooded his body. She would try to kill her own father. The spell had taken effect. In the fight he managed to take a look at the alarm clock by the big bed. He still had time to cure her, he just had to make her remember. He pinned her to the ground, and shouted to Alyss to come over, and they both fought with her.

“Abby, it’s me, your father!” He yelled, trying to get through the gnarly monster inside her.

“Abby, it’s us! Your dad and best friend! Don’t kill us!” Alyss screamed at the top of her lungs.

“ABBY!” They both shouted in unison. They looked in her eyes, and in them, was fear.

“Fight it Abby! Take back your body! Close the book!” Alyss directed into the monster. Slowly, the father let go of his grip, and the monster started fighting itself, with awkward conversations in between.

“I won’t let you rule my life!” Shouted Abby.

“Coso ne da, mo se ka!” She shouted again, “So momo ka tar!”

“MY MOTHER WAS NOT A RAT!” Abby screamed it aloud and fought with herself to the book. One hand shot for it, but the other smacked it hard. She screeched with all her might, “I WILL NOT BECOME A PILE OF DIRT!” Weird insults starting coming back and forth from her mouth, and finally with a great struggle, she gripped the book, and threw it against the wall, and it slammed shut, and everything started crawling back. The vines on the walls, the dirt on the floor, everything on Abby’s body (Except her clothes) slithered back inside the book, and then all was silent.
“Daddy!” Abby screamed in delight, and her father ran to her side and picked her up. Tears strolled down their faces. It was all over. Everything was back to normal. And Abby had her locket back.

The End


The author's comments:
This piece was based off of some of Harris Burdick's artwork. The one I used was Mr. Linden's Library. I hope I did a good job on this and hope for thumbs up!