Is it my fault? | Teen Ink

Is it my fault?

March 26, 2012
By Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York
Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York
38 articles 0 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was always yours, if it doesn't it never was.


Lorie looked at her new hairstyle in the mirror and almost burst into tears. It was way shorter than she had asked for. Her mom looked in. “Lore, stop complaining about your hair. The hairstylist said she was sorry.” Lorie glared but didn’t comment. She knew her hairstylist had meant to do it. Ever since her daughter went missing, she had been doing just the meanest thing to Lorie. Like she knew what had happened the last moments her daughter had been seen alive. Lorie guiltily looked away from the mirror. It had been partly her fault that her daughter was missing, but she didn’t know that. She left the bathroom and walked to her room. The one place that was always safe. The one place that she should have been the night the girl went missing. She huffed, and texted her friend. The guilt was weighing her down. It was like a weight thrown on her and she was too weak to lift it. It was time someone else helped her with the weight.

It was a dark cold rainy night. Lorie was walking down her street. “Lore? Lore!” a voice called from the shadows. Lorie jumped. “What are you doing out here Cathy?” she whispered angrily. She had thought everyone had been in their house. “Marsh got out again. My mom told me to go get him.” Cathy replied stepping into the light. Lorie looked at her. She had always been jealous of Cathy’s natural beauty. She had shoulder length blonde hair that had light blue streaks. Her hair streaks matched the color of her eyes and she was so small and petite. The way Lorie had always wanted to be. “He’ll probably just come back tomorrow.” Lorie replied getting annoyed. Cathy always annoyed her. What are you doing out here by yourself?” Cathy asked getting suspicious. Lorie looked around to make sure no one else was outside then leaned closer to Cathy and said, “Don’t say anything but I’m going to see Danny.” Cathy took a step back and gasped. “I hope you don’t mean that trouble making senior.” She disapproved. “Once you get to know him, he isn’t that bad.” Lorie defended. “Well who cares but why are you meeting a senior. You’re still in middle school.” Cathy argued. Lorie turned around and started to walk. “Fine you can ignore me, but I want to go with you.” Cathy shouted. Lorie turned around and shook her head. “If you don’t let me go I will go tell your mother right now Lorie- Anna.” Cathy said. Lorie thought about it for a second before letting her come. If her mom found out she would trip. The walk to the boy’s house was silent but fast. When Lorie was knocking at the door she realized that Cathy was wearing pajamas. “Why didn’t you tell me you weren’t dressed?” she asked horrified. “I wasn’t going to let you go alone regardless of what I was wearing.” Cathy replied not even fazed by her outfit. The door opened before Lorie could reply. It was Danny. She smiled and he returned it. “Hey babe.” He greeted giving her a hug. Then he spotted Cathy. “Who’s this?” “Let’s just say Lorie’s conscience.” Cathy replied giving him a look. “Feisty. I like that.” He said smiling then he wet his lips. Lorie rolled her eyes at Cathy. This was a reason she hadn’t wanted her to come. She put her arms around his neck. “Danny, I’m still here.” She pouted. Danny looked at her and nodded. “Come inside.” Then he left inside. “Are you really gullible to think he likes you?” Cathy asked in disbelief. Lorie ignored her and walked inside. Cathy ran in after her. She wouldn’t leave Lorie.

Lorie had already been here a lot so she knew where Danny had gone. His parents worked at night so he always had friends over. They usually hung out in the basement. That way the smell of weed wouldn’t be so strong. There were already ten people down there. They were high so they didn’t even notice the two new people that joined them. “I can’t believe you would hang out with these types of people Lore.” Cathy criticized. “Don’t judge my friends so quickly cutie.” Danny said walking in. He handed a beer to Lorie then threw one to Cathy. Then he sat down beside Lorie and they were soon engrossed in making out. Cathy let the beer he threw hit the ground and found a spot on the couch. She watched the high or drunk teens lumber around doing the most stupid things. She just couldn’t fathom how Lorie could hang out with them.

Cathy looked at her phone for the time and saw that it was getting real late. She got up and tapped Lorie on the shoulder. Lorie looked up annoyed. “What?” “It’s getting late. We should go.” She responded. “It’s Friday Cathy. I’m staying over.” Lorie said smiling. Then she went back to kissing Danny. Cathy knew if she stayed she would get in trouble so she left. “Bye Lore.” She said walking up the stairs. That was the last time Cathy was ever seen.


Lorie looked at her best friend’s face. It was a mix of sorrow and something Lorie couldn’t quite guess. “Lore, you have to tell the police this.” Her friend finally said. “I can’t! I will get in so much trouble.” Lorie complained. “Well they have been searching around our neighborhood because that is the place she is supposed to be.” Her friend said. Lorie bit her lip. She knew what she had to do but she didn’t want to get into so much trouble. “Come with me to tell my mom.” She finally relented. Cathy’s kidnapping had been all her fault and she would at least try to fix it.


The author's comments:
It just seemed fun to write about.