Gone But Not Forgotten | Teen Ink

Gone But Not Forgotten

January 21, 2012
By ZydecoVivo PLATINUM, Concord, North Carolina
ZydecoVivo PLATINUM, Concord, North Carolina
38 articles 1 photo 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I reject your reallity and substitute my own"- Adam Savage
"Words have no power to impress without the exquisite horror of their reality."-Edgar Allen Poe
"It's not that the questions were too hard, it's that they were too easy."-Ayn Rand


It was early morning on October 21. It was a Saturday. A race day. Ken Myers, Gil Cash, Charlie Blubaugh, and his wife Mary, and a few others were helping to set up for Huntersville’s race. Cones divided the street. Tires were put up for crash safety. The ramps and scales were set and ready for the cars. Calvin Blubaugh, Charlie and Mary’s son, had just finished getting inspected and weighed. His car was perfect. Not a millimeter off. He was sure to win. After all, there were only six other cars in the race. 5 of which he had already beaten. The remaining one was a rookie in the Master’s division. He sighed. If only there was a little competition left in racing. But it was a lost thought, he was all that was left of the original Huntersville Racers. Then he froze. Everyone did. They listened. Ken, Gil, Charlie, Mary and Calvin looked at each other. It had to be a coincidence. It could be anyone driving down the street blasting Dirty Deeds. Then they saw it turn onto the intersecting road. A beat-up, tan Nissan with a silver Master’s car strapped to the roof. It rode towards the 5 anxious people in slow motion. They couldn’t tell who the driver was or what they looked like. Or even who the car belonged to. But they watched, recalling a similar scene 5 long years before. It crept closer, AC/DC still blasting at full volume. Then it stopped. The car shut off. A door open and slammed. The elusive driver came around to the front. Then all 5 people broke into cheering and celebration.


The author's comments:
This is part of a book I want to write. I'm afraid of not finishing it, so I decided to put my favorite part on here.