False Hope | Teen Ink

False Hope

By Fran333 PLATINUM, Santa Ana, Other
Fran333 PLATINUM, Santa Ana, Other

"If you're unwilling to be aware of the darkness, you cannot see the light."

The vehicle stops. I quickly rush out of the taxi. I sneak a look at the people around me, quickly scanning the crowd so as to get a sense of my surroundings, but not to enter eye contact. Unconsciously my eyes fall to rest on a head not to far from me. It’s a boy. Judging by his height, he’s about my age. My mind goes on autopilot and I’m thinking, “Is it him?” but I manage to take back the controls and tell myself, “No, it can’t be. Why would he be here at an airport so far South?” Though I can’t help it, I’m already going through the symptoms; My heart is beating faster, blood coursing through my veins, my temperature is rising. “If I don’t stop this now” I think to myself, “I’m going to start blushing” I force myself to look back at the car just as my sister slams the door and starts to walk towards her backpack. “Luggage, my backpack, right.” I follow her lead, and pull mine on as well. As I am straightening myself up again, I peak at him through the corner of my eye. His back is towards me and I can’t see his face, so I can’t be certain. A few seconds go by as my parents help herd the luggage out and onto a trolly. They’re walking toward the sliding doors of the airport, away from the boy. One last time I turn to look. He turns just the slightest bit towards me, my heart is racing, and I catch a glimpse at his face. “Nope. Told you so!” My heart makes an unintentional dip, then goes back to normal. I turn back and start moving to catch up with my parents. “It wasn’t him.” I stare ahead of me, legs moving, as the excitement vanishes on my face replaced by the usual, unemotional frown. “Just an ordinary, boring day” I think to myself, and I silently wish it could have been him. “Even if I would have looked like a total idiot, maybe it would have been worth it. Maybe it would have been worth it, just to feel alive again.” At the thought, a blank smile flashes across my face.

I wish...