False Hope | Teen Ink

False Hope

January 13, 2012
By Fran333 PLATINUM, Santa Ana, Other
Fran333 PLATINUM, Santa Ana, Other
26 articles 17 photos 93 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you're unwilling to be aware of the darkness, you cannot see the light."


The vehicle stops. I quickly rush out of the taxi. I sneak a look at the people around me, quickly scanning the crowd so as to get a sense of my surroundings, but not to enter eye contact. Unconsciously my eyes fall to rest on a head not to far from me. It’s a boy. Judging by his height, he’s about my age. My mind goes on autopilot and I’m thinking, “Is it him?” but I manage to take back the controls and tell myself, “No, it can’t be. Why would he be here at an airport so far South?” Though I can’t help it, I’m already going through the symptoms; My heart is beating faster, blood coursing through my veins, my temperature is rising. “If I don’t stop this now” I think to myself, “I’m going to start blushing” I force myself to look back at the car just as my sister slams the door and starts to walk towards her backpack. “Luggage, my backpack, right.” I follow her lead, and pull mine on as well. As I am straightening myself up again, I peak at him through the corner of my eye. His back is towards me and I can’t see his face, so I can’t be certain. A few seconds go by as my parents help herd the luggage out and onto a trolly. They’re walking toward the sliding doors of the airport, away from the boy. One last time I turn to look. He turns just the slightest bit towards me, my heart is racing, and I catch a glimpse at his face. “Nope. Told you so!” My heart makes an unintentional dip, then goes back to normal. I turn back and start moving to catch up with my parents. “It wasn’t him.” I stare ahead of me, legs moving, as the excitement vanishes on my face replaced by the usual, unemotional frown. “Just an ordinary, boring day” I think to myself, and I silently wish it could have been him. “Even if I would have looked like a total idiot, maybe it would have been worth it. Maybe it would have been worth it, just to feel alive again.” At the thought, a blank smile flashes across my face.

I wish...