Inhale Deeply | Teen Ink

Inhale Deeply

By avb1234 GOLD, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
avb1234 GOLD, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

"Happy people aren't happy because they have everything, they are happy because they make the best out of everything" and "The quietest people have the loudest minds"

He turned to me and said "inhale deeply," I did as he told because I was desperate to escape. Escape the real world filled with pain, sadness,and torment. I had never done this before and little did I know, I would do it again. Not just a couple of times but every day, sometimes more than once a day. This was my first step down a road that I wasn't even sure I wanted to go down but out of desperation to be numb, I sprinted down. I sprinted down this road never to look back because I feared what I would see if I did. To look back at what I had left behind would cause more pain. A distraught family, pitied by the others around them. I was tired of hearing how everyone knew how I felt, how we were the picture perfect family, and most of all how it would get better. I lost my best friend, my other half, my twin and no one could experience the pain that I had endured. We were inseparable since birth. She accepted me for everything I was, she was my shoulder to cry on, she was the one I went to with my problems and she would always know how to make it better. I became the parent. I took care of my mother, who stumbled home from the local pub every night, half caked in her own vomit. I took care of my father, even though it usually left me with bruises. One day, it was too much and I ended up there. Listening to a druggie who was telling me to throw it all away. Standing in some dark stingy house, holes in the walls, needles on the ground all around me."Inhale deeply." I never thought those would be the words that ruined my life. My name is Emily and I'm an addict.