Losing Lila | Teen Ink

Losing Lila

July 17, 2011
By Maggie2014 GOLD, Great Falls, Virginia
Maggie2014 GOLD, Great Falls, Virginia
11 articles 0 photos 13 comments

When I opened the door to Jack and Lila's apartment I couldn't see two feet in front of me. The apartment was pitch black the only light in in was the glow of the light from the hall. I closed the door behind me and waited for my eyes to adjust. Slowly I began to make out the familiar sights within the apartment; the kitchen table was filled with bouquets and flower arrangements Jack must have received at the funeral. I adjusted a case that was haphazardly balanced on the edge of the table and made my way across the wood floor, clicking in my heels, towards Jack's study. He was sitting in his favorite leather chair. I couldn't tell if he was asleep or just sitting there. As I clicked closer his head snapped up.
"Lila!" 
He cried in desperation.
"Lila is that you?"
He was struggling to get up.
"Jack"
I said softly. 
"Jack it's Meg."
His struggling stopped, he looked right at me and he deflated in to his chair. 
"Jack, do you remember where we were last night?"
Didn't he remember the funeral at all?

Before I could say anything else, a horrible animal wail came from somewhere deep inside him, and then he was crying; great sobs racking his body. As he unclasped his hands to reach out for me I saw that he had been holding his wedding band. 
That was when I went to him. We sobbed in to each others arms, bonding over the loss of such an important figure in our lives. 
He, crying for the loss of a wife.
I, crying for the loss of a sister. 
Bonding over the loss of our best friend.