Siamese Twins | Teen Ink

Siamese Twins

May 22, 2011
By poetic.eyes PLATINUM, Everson, Washington
poetic.eyes PLATINUM, Everson, Washington
23 articles 3 photos 198 comments

Favorite Quote:
eARTh


Once in India, Siamese twins were born. They were girls, named Nazneen and Indira. These girls were connected by their back. They had four arms, two legs, they did not share their head, so, they had a separate brain. These girls were compared to Kartikay who had six heads. Son of Shiva, brother of Ganesh. They were praised and war shipped, brought offerings and made special clothes for their unearthly body.

When the girls were twelve and a half, their grumpy old dad died. This was a great big deal for their family. Their mother, only being 13 when she went to live with her promised husband, was much, much younger than he. In their religion, when the husband dies, and is burnt, the woman is burnt alive with him.

As the wailing group set out with their mother held fast, as she screamed and yelled in fear, the fire was set and laid out. The body of Nazneen and Indira’s father was first placed on the funeral pyre. The fire was lit. First small flames shot here and there. Then, big strong flames built. The girl’s mother was beside herself with fear. What did all the people know of how it felt? Had they experienced this? She could not bear it. She’d rather stab herself with a knife. A flame shot at her. The crowd went silent. Nazneen and Indira’s mother’s fear turned into rage, and she hurled herself into the hot, cruel fire. “If this is what you devils want, I shall do it!” she yelled as her last words. The girls hearts fell. Their long pretty dark brown hair fell all around their shoulders. Their mouths set in tight lines. Soft tears rolled down their cheeks. They wiped them away with their sleeves and sighed. More tears came, and filled their eyes. Their faces were wet.

The procession lamented around the flames. The girls could not stand it any longer. They had to leave. Their hearts were ruined. How could they love again? They snuck out of the procession, into the woods, back the way they had come.

The woods were dark and mysterious as they walked along the path. The moon loomed above, like a red flame that had swallowed up their dear mother.

The girls saw the light of the city, and presently came to a dusty road, which lead to their dark empty home. The door was open, and the girls entered slowly. It was quiet and still, not a sound came from the indoors. Nazneen and Indira sat heavily
on their dusty small bed. As no one truly loves us, they thought, why waste our time here, if we could have a happy live somewhere else? At that, they walked into the kitchen, each taking a knife into their hand. Knife at heart the sisters fell to the floor. They were off to where they truly belonged - back to their gods!