Death's Corner | Teen Ink

Death's Corner

By Jesse-Marie- PLATINUM, Freehold, New Jersey
Jesse-Marie- PLATINUM, Freehold, New Jersey

"To love is to live. Without love, what is life?"

The aroma of booze filtered through the air. The smells of gin and beer caused a ache in my head. A empty bottle of wine sat next to me, my only company. I tugged on my sweater. The cold air rushed over me and gave me goose bumps. Buds of cigarettes clouded the street. Sitting alone out here was a risk, but where did I have to go? Being 16 and addicted to smoking weed didn't help me any. My family hated me and sent me to rehab hell. This was my last resort. The cold, lonely, corner of death.

I slowly sighed and took a swig of beer. My torn pants let in cold air. I shivered hard and heard the chatter of my teeth. I flushed out the cold with a shot of vodka. Mixing my alcohol always worked before. While exhaling, I saw a light approach and clenched my fists.

The burning of headlights made my head burst. I looked away and shivered. A car pulled up to the corner and I flinched. "Who are you? What do you want?" I asked, eyes still fixated on a pull across the street.

"Brit?" A familiar voice called out my name. I looked over my shoulder to see my boyfriend, Daren.

"Daren," I scowled, "go away." I turned to see his face. His handsome structures popped against the headlights. His body called my name out quietly. I missed Daren.

Daren came closer and wrapped his arms around me. "It's okay baby girl, I'll get you home. Your parents missed you." His gentle eyes looked in to mine. Who was I, his five year old sister?

"I don't need my family! I can take care of myself!" I ended my sentence with a unconvincing cough. I looked another way and drank another shot of vodka, or gin, who really cares anyway?

"Brit, look at yourself! You're sitting on this corner, death's corner, waiting for what? To be raped? You're acting like a idiot! Want to know what you're gonna get out of this experience Brit? A coffin."

The gentle eyes faded away and revealed a more intense Daren I've never seen. I was truly shocked. I couldn't help myself anymore, the tears started to flow. A unexpected outburst revealed more.

"Really Brit, what good are you doing? You're not gaining any respect. You're losing years of your life. God, you're only sixteen, this is illegal. I'm not you're father, but Brit, you make me act like it."

So then I stopped. I quit, gave up on this whole thing. I just stood up in defeat. The tears ran down my face as I hugged Daren. My sobs were muffled by his sweater. I realized what he had been saying was true. I closed my eyes and whispered softly,
"Thank you."

Sadness and real life problems.