"A Warning" | Teen Ink

"A Warning"

April 18, 2011
By JonnyFox SILVER, Bolingbrook, Illinois
JonnyFox SILVER, Bolingbrook, Illinois
7 articles 8 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"We\'re not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing, the only thing i was good at. But at least i always fought of what I believed in. Farwell.\"


As I start to slow down my car, I think to myself, my dad is going to kill me! He came out of nowhere, like a ghost in the night. All I could think of was my dad’s uncontrollable rage when he finds out. I would have to come up with this very elaborate lie to get myself out of trouble.

My car came to a complete stop on the corner of a street somewhere. I have no idea why I was stopped or even what to say when he comes over. I put the car in park, turned the music down, and took out my license just in case. He came out the car; my heart started pounding in my chest fast and loud. Every time he took a step towards me, my fear got greater and greater. Suddenly he was already in front of me knocking on my window.

“Is there a problem officer?” I said slowly and carefully.
“Step out of the vehicle.” The officer said in direct tone.

Now my heart was racing, my mind in shock and awe. As I step out, the officer made me step to the back of the car.

“Son, do you know why I pulled you over today?” the officer said.
“Well, no sir I do not.” I said in a cold sweat.

As I waited so anxiously for the answer there was a long pause. He stared at me for the longest time. It was the strongest look I have ever seen. I was so terrified, I dared not stare back.

“Well son.” He finally said after a long period. “I pulled you over because.”

I knew the answer was coming, the answer that would determine my fate. In my mind all I could think of was, come on tell me already!

“Your tail light is broken. Get that fixed right away and I’ll let you off with a warning. Good day.”

What?! That’s all he wanted to tell me? After all of this being scared and terrified all he wanted to tell me was that I had a broken tail light? Never in my life have I ever been so scared. And for a broken tail light no less.