Haunted House | Teen Ink

Haunted House

By Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other
Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other

Everything makes sense if you think too much about it.

I'm trapped in here.

Sweat pours down her back, adding 'icky' to everything else that's tossing, turning, screaming and sobbing inside her now. She runs from window to blackened window, with paper peeling off the edges, with cracks in the ancient glass, yet unbreakable. Making her feel nothing but weakness personified.

I'm lost in here.

The exits are clearly marked, with those annoyingly green always-on lights. The pinging of the elevators echoes in the empty hallways.

She gazes out of the windows and sees nothing of the high-rise buildings or the decidedly odd weather. No, all she sees is faces in the dark. Faces, grotesquely similar, yet jarringly different.

I have to get out of here!

Panic is hazing her mind; she is scared of these places, these thoughts. Tears spring, uncalled for. Hot, burning pricks in her eyes.

She wipes them away surreptitiously, as if she thinks that someone is watching for signs of weakness. Then she turns around, walks quickly out of the room. Heads for the elevator and presses the button, all the while stealing glances of the room, into which a pale late-afternoon light seeps through the windows.

The elevator pings again and the doors open noiselessly, and she enters the mercifully empty cab.

She escapes the din of the quiet room...but she can't escape the noise in her head.

*sigh* I haven't vented like that in so long.

Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other

No, it wasn't, except for me when I wrote it.

I'm always right, child. :P

ShivaniRaina SILVER, Nicosia, Other

If, with the literate, I am
Impelled to try an epigram,
I never seek to take the credit;
We all assume that Oscar said it.
--Dorothy Parker, referring to Oscar Wilde

It doesn't bother me all that much anymore--the fact that I can relate to everything you write, to the minutest detail.

Maybe I'm looking for symbology everywhere, and so I make this...story, fit my frame of mind. 

I absolutely love the imagery you never fail to evoke, making everything you write become so tangible in a way. 

I guess you're right, bangness. I'm trapped inside my head. This wasn't meant to have a calming effect, was it?