Chapters of Goodbye | Teen Ink

Chapters of Goodbye

By its_just_me PLATINUM, Greensburg, Pennsylvania
its_just_me PLATINUM, Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Life is not measured by the amount of breath's you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Sometimes life feels like chapters of goodbye. You never know what's going to happen or who you're going to lose.
This morning my worst nightmare came true. My mother called me, and delivered the news. My father had passed. I hadn't stopped crying since.
I drove in silence to my parent's house. When I hit the gravel road, I slowed down. I could feel the sad mood washing over me, even before I walked through the door. I rang the doorbell, something I didn't normally do.
When my mother answered the door, I saw the tears running down her face. He eyes were red and puffy, and she looked like she was struggling to stay standing right now. I wrapped my arms around her, and I felt her shaking in my arms.
We drove to the cemetery together. Neither of us spoke, we were just left to our thoughts.
When we got there, family greeted us. Everybody was grieving over the sudden loss of my father. The entire funeral lasted about an hour. Once everyone was gone, I stayed. I walked towards the grave, and fell to my knees. I turned my head to the right, and saw the grave of my son. Today would have been his seventh birthday.
Tears stream down my face as I turn my head to look back at my father's grave. "You tell my little boy I miss him so much." Tears were streaming down my face so hard.
I stand up, and walk to my son's grave. I kneel once more, and bow my head as I wait for the tears to subside. But they never do. "Happy birthday," I whisper in a broken voice.
Sometimes life feels like chapters of goodbyes. And here comes another goodbye.

This story was inspired by the song Here Comes Goodbye by Rascal Flatts. Hope you like it!