Strum: Chapter Nine | Teen Ink

Strum: Chapter Nine

November 13, 2010
By Eer320 PLATINUM, S. China, Maine
Eer320 PLATINUM, S. China, Maine
20 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes with the sharpeners on the back. I fancy myself to be a 64-color box, though I've got a few missing. It's ok though, because I've got some more vibrant colors like periwinkle at my disposal. I have a bit of a problem though in that I can only meet the 8-color boxes. Does anyone else have that problem? I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation.. so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type.. I'm like, hey girl, magenta! and she's like, oh, you mean purple! and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, no - I want magenta!"


“Babe, why didn’t you tell me you dated her?” I asked Ben, my handing aching from his tight hold.

“It wasn’t important.”

“WASN’T IMPORTANT?!” I dropped his hand, and stood in the middle of the sidewalk, crowds parting around me.

“Come on, baby. Don’t do this. Not here.” Ben said, looking around, embarrassed.

“Tricia made it sound pretty damn important.” I said, close to tears.

“Okay, fine.” He said. “Yeah, I really liked her, and we were pretty serious for a while, kind of like how Jack and Tricia are now.”

I scowled. “And do you still like her?!”

“What?! NO! Hell no.” He yelled, surprised by the question. Then he calmed. “Look, baby, we need to stop fighting. We’ve been dating what, two days? And we’re already fighting.”

“You’re right.”

And he pulled me close to him, tight. He kissed my forehead, then pulled away and cupped my head in his hands. We both leaned in, and a tingle went through me.

It was just like the last kiss, except a little more intense. And I loved it. I wanted more. My hands were relaxed on his chest, and his hands were still on my face. Finally, he pulled away, and we joined hands again. Then, we kept walking, in silence.

?
? ?


He dropped me off in front of my house, and we shared one last, quick kiss. Then, he wrapped me up in his strong arms, and kept me there for a minute. I felt totally safe in his arms. Then, I wondered if he did this same thing to Valerie, if he kissed her with just as much passion, and I pulled away.

He didn’t say anything, besides goodbye. And then he walked away, and once he was around the corner, I sat down on the curb, and cried. I wonder if Chasity ever considered maybe he would be the one to hurt me instead of it the other way around.

?
? ?


It was a week later that I found myself sitting at Spencer’s kitchen table, again. Ben and I sat so close to each other, I was practically on his lap. Chasity sat next to Spencer, looking uncomfortable, and Spencer was shoving his face with cookies.

When Chasity looked over at him, disgusted, he looket up at her.

“Wha?” He asked, mouthful of cookies. “She only makes these when you guys come over!”

“That’t because I like your friend, Spence.” She said, placing a new tray on the table and gesturing towards Chasity. Then, she noticed me and Ben, and gave us a disapproving look.

I scampered back into my own chair, looking innocent. Then, of course, Ben couldn’t resist not being with me, so he put his hand, on my thigh.

Well, that really made Spencer’s mom, so let’s just say that was the last plate of cookies she was bringing.

“Okay,” Said Chasity, getting to business. “So the school talent show is coming up.”

“Yeah, we know, Chasity.” Ben said.

“Anyways, we totally need to play in it.”

Spencer sprayed milk everywhere. “Chasity, we’re hardly even a band! We haven’t had one practice.”

“Exactly.” She said.

“Auditions are in a week!”

“So let’s play now!” I said.

“I have my drums here.” Said Ben smiling. He reached for my hand.

“My bass is at home, but can go get it quick.” Said Chasity.

“Alright, we’ll be here.” Said Spencer.

“I’m coming with you.” I said, standing up. Then of course, Ben stood up, too.

“Me too.” He said. I walked over to him.

I grabbed his hands, and gave him a light kiss. “I’m fine, babe. You stay here.”


He sat back down, and smiled to himself.

Me and Chasity left the building and headed down the street. It was silent for a while, and then Chasity spoke up.

“Have you talked to Jack yet, Nat?” She asked, quietly.

“I haven’t gotten around to it yet, so no.” I said.

“To busy making out with Ben, huh?”

“Not really Chasity. But I’ll talk to him tomorrow at school.” And I kept walking leaving her in the dust.