Mr. White Shirt | Teen Ink

Mr. White Shirt

September 4, 2010
By ImJustMe94 SILVER, Dubai, Other
ImJustMe94 SILVER, Dubai, Other
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
People keep saying that light is important. Darkness is important too, thats when you realise the value of light.


I could sense it. He was looking at me. I slowly turned my head towards the mirror by a quarter of a degree to make sure, but was interrupted by the lady who brought us our appetizers. I quickly looked straight the table mat and tried to focus my attention on what was written on it. "Try out our new summer coolers, the strawberry shake and the mango tango!" The pictures of the drinks looked really good, maybe i should try the mango tan- Is he still looking at me?! I became very aware that my shirt was a little body-fitting. I shifted in my seat, incredibly uneasy. My best friend Cathy saw my face, and asked me "What's up Karen?" I shook my head and gave a small smile to signal nothing. Youre being ridiculous, i said to myself. But i still tried to check using the corner of my eye.

He wore a white shirt. Yes, he was the guy who walked in just after we did. I had seen him because he walked in as my friends tried to decide where to sit. He sat at a table from he could clearly see me, and i could see his reflection through the mirror in front of our table. He had a beard and wore a cap, and held something in his hand, maybe a recorder or something. OMG. It was like one of the TV shows. His face wasn't moving, just staring straight at me. I tried to calm myself down, and not care. It didn't help that my friends were talking about some girl who had been stalked by this very creepy guy, and the guy had followed her everywhere all the way back to her house, and she need to get a restraining order against him. I looked again at the guy. The waitress was adding sugar to his coffee or tea or whatever he was drinking. Okay, was this guy stalking me? We had been to a few shops before this, was he there too?

I tried to eat the fried calamari, but it felt like rubber in my mouth. I swallowed it anyway, and choked on it. I drank a bit of water, which I almost spilled as my hands were trembling a little bit. Tiny beads of perspiration trickled down my back. Meanwhile, the others had jumped from the stalker story to the latest gossip about Brangelina. Only Cathy looked back at me, and asked me again if I was alright. I couldn't take it anymore. I quickly whispered to her, "The guy in the white shirt, he's been staring at me since we came in!" She quickly looked at the guy and said, " You're just paranoid! Don't let Sheila's story get to you!". Then she stuffed another fried calamari into her mouth. I looked at the mirror again. Okay, this guy was obviously staring at me. Maybe he knows me and is trying to remember where he recognizes me from. I searched my memory, trying to remember his face. But no, I definitely hadn't seen him before.

By this time, even Cathy understood that Mr. white shirt was staring at me continously. She quickly nudged Pauline, who sat next to her, and told her. This process continued till everyone at the table knew. Thing was, we couldn't do much as our main course was yet to come. Then I said rather loudly that I was going to call a waitress and report this creepy fellow. After that, he called a waitress. She asked him, "Do you need help goin' back home Joe?" He chuckled, and said "Its okay. But yeah, give my apologies to the girls at the next table. I didn't realise that I was staring at them." The waitress looked puzzled, as did we, and then he continued, "And don't worry, I'll walk back home alright. I din't forget my stick today." And then my supposed stalker freed his folding white cane, and slowly headed out of the restaurant.