"Bruised && Broken Chapter Three: And Her Name Is Aubrey Griffith" | Teen Ink

"Bruised && Broken Chapter Three: And Her Name Is Aubrey Griffith"

By Katiexox GOLD, Portville, New York
Katiexox GOLD, Portville, New York

"Each Days A Gift And Not A Given Right"-Nickelback

I walked to school that morning, considering I woke up late. I don’t have an alarm and I didn’t really get a good night sleep, seeing as I slept against a door. I was too frightened to lie in bed, because every time I even told my brain to move, my mind flashed an image of my father beating down my door, and beating me to death. Even though I’m small, I felt safer if I put my weight on the door while I slept.

I walked down the loud city street, struggling to keep my body going. I felt exhausted, and I had to take the time to put make up on a couple of bruises, and fix the mess of hair my dad left me the night before. While I was walking, I could faintly hear something yelling for me, at least I think it was me, but I was so out of it, and the city people and loud beeping horns for the morning rush hour just kind of drowned it out, until I felt something tackle me onto the sidewalk, which woke me up like I just drank twenty espressos.

“Aubrey! Earth to Aubrey!” My best friend Darcy screamed as we lay on the hard, dirty city sidewalk.

“Good morning, Darcy” I said with a smile faker than Mia Hathaway’s tan.

“Wake up sleepy head; you know what today is right?” She said with the biggest smile on her face.

“Tuesday?” I said. I’m in utter confusion as she looks me like I was an idiot.

“No! Come on, think!”

“Spaghetti and Meatball day at the Caf?”

“Aubrey, think. What happens on this day, of this month, every year?” She said, while she gave me look as if she was trying to be psychic or something. And I think it might have worked, because I finally remembered what day it was.

“Oh Crap! Come on, Darc, we have to hurry!”
I threw her off of my, grabbed her arm, and I ran to school like there was a bear chasing me there.
I finally got to the school, ran through the double doors, pushed people over, and finally got to the auditorium, where auditions for the ballet were always held at 7:45 sharp. I had made it right on time. Ballet was my only escape from the world, from everything around me. I’ve been a dancer since I was 5 years old, and have always loved it. Mia Hathaway and I are known as the two top dancers in the school, and we always competed for the spot. She always wins, considering her prissy mother is the instructor, but she just had a baby, so instead of instructing our ballet, she gets to sit at home and lay her newborn in her gold cradle with her diamond mobile hanging over her head.
We all stood lined up on the stage like a military line. Everyone else was in there en pointes and leotards, while I stood there in my aeropostale hoodie, worn out jeans, and flip flops. Our substitute instructor, who I have not listened to learn the name of, finally closed her notebook, and walks onto the lit up stage. She walked across the stage, staring each one of us down, like we were supposed to be afraid of a woman in tights. I blew the bangs out of my face while she walked past me. Her presence didn’t honestly phase me; I’ve already been through the whole sha-bang with these kinds of instructors.

“You! Bangs, do you plan on dancing in that?”

“Not exactly, I ran late this morning Madam” I have to respect the instructor, even if I don’t know who she is.

“No excuses! You obviously don’t want this, unlike your fellow Prima’s. Let’s take Mia Hathway for instance.” And right when she mentioned that, that’s when I woke up. Comparing me to that prissy princess who thinks the world comes to the end if her nail breaks, is absolutely the worst thing you could do to me.

“Ok, with all due respect Madam, I absolutely refuse to be compared to her. If you give me a minute, I will blow your mind away with my incite within this beautiful art with no other name than ballet.” I said, with the most confidence I’ve ever had.

“Fine, you can dance, but you have to dance last. You may think this is good, but the first dance is the lasting dance.”

“You will not regret it, Madam”

We all left the stage and sat in the soft audience chairs, while we watched performance after performance, I grew tired. I knew I could easily beat all these girls. Then Mia got up on stage, wearing her 500 dollar leotard, she stood in the middle of the stage. She then started her dance, and I was amazed. Mia’s skills had grown since the last time I saw her dance, and when I say that, I mean it. It was incredible. The rumors of her practicing with a professional were true; But this wasent good news in my perspective. Her dance ended, and she walked behind the velvet curtains. The instructor turned her head back to me, and gave me a nod.
I walked onto the stage. I stood on the stage, my feet crossed, as I shake inside my purple skirted leotard. I took a deep breathe, looked out to the audience, and closed my eyes. I started my dance. I slowly raise my arms above my head and got onto my toes. Then I started to move. I moved to the beat of the slow classical music. I put so much emotion into my dance, it was outstanding. I twirled around so much I might have toppled over if I stopped. I imagined I was on Broadway, dancing for thousands of people. I was in Swan Lake, I was Odette. This was my favorite ballet. I have always dreamed to dance for that ballet one day. I finally ended with raising my hands to the heavens, or in this case the stage light, while I slowly raised my left leg into a perfect position. I opened my eyes, just as the piano ended. I got a standing ovation from my fellow dancers, not including Princess Mia. Real Shocker there.
“That was very impressive, Miss Aubrey. Perfect position, good emotion, and amazing flexibility.”
She closed her eyes and thought long and hard about a decision. I stood on stage waiting for what felt like an eternity. She finally slammed her hands on the desk, which made us all jump out of our leotards. She slowly stood, and opened her eyes.
“I’ve made my decision. This Dancer is the perfect Prima Ballerina for our years Ballet. She is Beautiful, confident, and an amazing dancer.”
Mia slowly rose from her seat with a smirk on her face.
“And this Dancers name is Aubrey Griffith”
“Thank yo-, Wait what?” Mia said, completely flabbergasted.
I heard that news, and I felt like I cured cancer. I grew a grin on my face that was actually real. So much happiness welled up inside me; I just had to do this:
“Yes!” I yelled as I jumped up in the air.
My instructor gave me look that I didn’t exactly like.
“I mean, um, Thank you very much for this opportunity, Madam” I said very politely as I curtsied.
She smiled and waved her hand, which is when I did the “Score” hand motion, while whispering yes and I ran off the stage. I felt like I was on top of the world, like I saved the human race, oh the hell with it, I felt fricken ecstatic! I ran out the stage door, still in my ballet attire, and ran down the hallway. I was attempting to find Darcy, and accidently ran into someone, and fell backwards.
“I’m so sorry, please forgive me!” I looked up to see it was my boyfriend, Jason.
“I think I can find it in my heart to forgive a pretty girl like you.” He said with a smile. I smiled back.
He outstretched his hand to help me up, which I grabbed.
“Where are you going in such a hurry anyways, while in your leotard may I add.”
“I have amazing news, I finally beat Mia Hathway, and im the star Ballerina for this years Ballet!” I said with twinkling eyes.
“That’s great, Babe! Im so happy for you!”
I jumped on him to hug him, while people stared at me, I honestly didn’t care less at this point. I let go grabbed his hands

“I would love to stay, but I have to go find Darcy. Ill talk to you later, ok?”

“Go on, girl; go tell Darcy your news.”

“You’re the best!” I reached up and gave him a kiss on the cheek, as I turned around and ran up the stairs, where I saw Darcy at her locker. I ran up behind her and jumped on her.

“Hey! Watch it tiger, haven’t gotten my morning cappuccino yet.” With her saying that, I wondered about this morning and all her excitement.

“I got it!” Even though I didn’t specify, she knew what I meant.

“No way! Congrats!” We jumped up and down yelling with excitement. Mia walked by, giving me the death stare, like she was saying in her head “Ill get you in your sleep,” or something like that.

“I bet her lovely highness loved that.” Darcy said.

“Oh she did, she stood up thinking she was the star! It was great, Darc. I thought her mask was gonna crack and I would finally see the monster within” We both laughed.

“Well hey, I have to get to Bio, you MIGHT want to get changed, class starts in about one minute”

“Shoot! I completely forgot, thanks! See you later!”

I ran back down the stairs, changed back into my regular school outfit, and booked it to class. I ran through the door right when the bell rang.

“Thank you for joining us, Miss Griffith”

“I was on time, wasn’t I?” I said to my Social Studies Teacher, Miss Barlow.

She and I go way back to when she taught my mother. Her and my mom weren’t really two pees in a pod, and of course, that feud rubbed off onto me. But I only have to have her this year, so I guess it’s not too bad.

I sat down in my usual seat, next to Jason. As soon as I sat down, I felt a nudge on my arm. Jason was trying to pass my note; I grabbed the paper from his hand swiftly, opened it, quietly flattened it on my wooden, rickety desk, and read:

“So how did everything with Darcy go?”

I scrambled through my purse to find a pen, clicked the top, and wrote this:

“Great! She was just as happy as I was.” I folded up the lined paper, and passed it back to Jason. This is pretty much how the rest of the Conversation went:

“That’s good; do you know what ballet your doing?”

“Not sure yet, I barely paid attention while our new instructor talked. I don’t even know her name.”

“Oh that’s good, haha. How did your best friend Mia take the news?”

“She was about as happy as House without his Vicodin”

“Sounds like she didn’t take it to well?”

“Not at exactly, but that’s her problem.”

“True, True. So are we still on for the movies tonight?”

Crap! I completely forgot!

“I think so. I’ll have to talk to my father. You know how strict he is.”

“Okay, make sure to talk to him and text me. Well, we better stop before we get caught, considering Barlow is going to turn around and give her end-of-class wrap up. Talk to you soon.”

Right when I finished reading his response, Miss Barlow turned around and started to go on about something that had to do with some revolution. There’s way too many of those to keep track. The bell rang, and I crumpled up the paper and threw it in the garbage. I walked out the door, and went to English. That day flew by, considering I was in the best mood I have been in since Jason asked me out. In no time, the final bell rang, and our school turned into a zoo of rampaging teenagers, trying to get to there lockers, and get home. I walked slowly, considering I didn’t need to take the bus. I lived relatively close to the school, so I always walk. I walked up to my locker and started to put in my combination, when Mia walked up to me, stopping me.

“Having a little trouble with your combination, Aubrey? Can your tiny brain not handle three numbers?”

“Mia, the day I have a tiny brain is the day you stop being a b****. Now as we can all see, that isn’t going to happen any time soon.”

“Excuse me? I think you meant to say something else.”

“Your right, I meant to say to lay off the tanning. If you become any more orange, I think they just might chop you up and serve you in our fruit cups at lunch”

“Orange jokes, cute. Anyways, I just wanted to say you better watch your back. The only reason you got the Prima ballerina part in the ballet this year is because that woman felt bad for you.”

“Oh stop, Mia. Now your just making yourself look bad. I mean first you give angry scowls, and then you have to make stuff up? Get over yourself.”

“Hm, I think not. Im just forewarning you that this is my school, and messing with me isn’t the smartest thing.”

“Forewarning? Well that’s the biggest word ive heard out of your mouth. Any who, im not scared of you, just to give you a heads up. I think the worse possible thing your princess butt might do is right a mean blog about me, or even try to scratch me with your fake press on nails. Please, give me a break.”

“Whatever, Griffith. Have it your way. But just remember, you’re talking to Mia Hathaway, so you might want to watch every step you take, it just might backfire”

“And your talking to Aubrey Griffith, so you might want to know that I could give a flying frick about your little threats. So go on, I think the whole school is getting pretty tired of holding in the throw up reaction they get when they see you”

She just gave me a look of disgust, flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder, and walked off in her pink high heels. I just rolled my eyes, grabbed my bag, and shut my locker.

The walk home seemed pretty short. I was in a pretty good mood considering the day I had. I walked up the cobble stone path, up the cement steps, and walked though the door. I saw garbage scattered all over the floor. My dad sat on the chair, watching some stupid show.

“I’m home dad.”

“I can see that.”

“Well, I was wondering if maybe I could go to the movies tonight with Jason.”

“Sure.” Wait, Rewind, What? Did he just say yes?

“Sure?”

“Yeah, and on the way home you can come pick me up from my usual club up on Main Street.”

I sighed. I knew there was a catch. But it was defiantly better than a no. I agreed, and walked up the stairs to start my homework. Around 4:30, I went downstairs to make dinner. I made Spaghetti, which my dad disliked, of course. After I washed the dishes, I went up stairs to get ready for my date. I put on my favorite light blue sweater, a sparkly scarf, some washed out gray skinny jeans, and knee high black boots. I curled my hair into waves; hair sprayed it, and then threw on a matching light blue knit cap. I put on some make-up, and waited for Jason to get here. I heard the familiar honk of his car, ran downstairs, said bye to my dad, and ran out the door. We got to the movies, and decided to see this new horror movie out called “The Last house on the left”. It was about a haunting. I was so scared, I was practically in Jason’s lap. Once I think about it, I think going to the scary movie wasn’t a coincidence.

Anyways, I had an amazing time. Afterwards, Jason and I went out to get Coco, and talked. It was a lot of fun, lots of laughs. I checked my watch to see the time.

“Crap! Sorry Jason, I have to go.”

“Why? Did I do something?”

“No, im so sorry. I have to get my dad from the bar”

“I can give you guys a ride, let me drive you”

“No, its ok. You’re not going to want to see him drunk. I can walk. Trust me, I will be fine. No one will touch me when I have a drunk guy with me.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, im sure”

I reached over the table, gave him a kiss, and ran out the door. I ran down the snowy sidewalk of Main Street. I finally reached the door. I stopped to catch my breath. I grabbed the knob and opened the door. I ran up the stairs and opened the second door. The Bouncer stopped my and asked for I.D. I pointed out my father and said I needed to go get him. The only reason he believed me was that he didn’t really think that a 15 year old girl would want to come watch girls slide down a pole and take there clothes off. I walked up to my dad, who was throwing bills at some woman.

“Dad, C’mon, lets go”
“Oh, Aubrey, Thank god you’re here. I need more money, little missy over here is going to give me a surprise”
That is one thing a daughter never wants to hear come out of there fathers mouth.
“No, dad. Its time to leave.”
I went to grab his arm but turned quickly, flinging his arm away from me.
“When I say no, I mean no!”
“Dad, Now!” I went to grab his arm, but he, once again moved it, and grabbed a bar stool. He flung it straight at me, which hit me square in the head. I toppled right over. I put my hand on my head, and looked up. I saw my dad standing above me. I found the wall, and got up. I knew this wasn’t going to get any better.
“Dad, we have to leave. It’s late.” I once again grabbed his arm, but this wasent the best approach to the situation.
“Get the hell away from me!” He yelled as he flung his arm, and threw me backwards. Unfortunately, we were right in front of the stairs leading down to the loud city. I went toppling down the stairs, out onto the concrete sidewalk, and hit my head right on the hard concrete. It knocked the wind right out of me. I hit my head so hard, everything got darker and darker. I saw some red on the ground, and I thought to my self, “Jeez, is that my blood?”. All the noise around me started to get fainter and fainter. The last thing I remember happening was people gathering around me, like I was some attraction, and people yelling to get an ambulance. I slowly closed my eyes, as I lost the strength to keep my self conscious. I finally let my lids close completely, as I let everything else around me fade out, to a point where my whole self was completely was gone.