The Beauty on This Cruel, Cold, Hard Earth | Teen Ink

The Beauty on This Cruel, Cold, Hard Earth

By Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut
Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut

I'd rather be sorry for something that I did than for something I didn't do.
-Red Scott

Beauty. What does anyone know about it? “Darling, you look lovely.” “My little boy has grown so handsome.” “The sunset is simply gorgeous.” “That view is breathtaking.” Well, there is something to be told. Those are the words of the clueless. Ah if only they knew.

The “sweet lady”. Well, little does he know what she does every day. He leaves, believing he has seen an angel. She… well, she just does what she does best. She entices her anger, embraces it, wields it as she hurls her poisoned daggers. Daggers that she, herself had so carefully poisoned. Bitter words. Thundering accusations. Erasing happiness from the eyes of those who had given all to her. Vicious demands. Screaming maledictions. Hacking away at their lives, turning pride to misery, mahogany locks to those of listless grey. How lovely, would you not agree?

Oh, the handsome young lad. Pity, pity I send to the naïve father whose years have not brought wisdom. If only he knew. If only he knew his intelligent, polite son. But little does he know, when he closes his eyes, too pleased to leave them open, his gentleman stomps out budding life. He closes his eyes, believing that he is the parent of a benevolent young lord. The handsome lad… he hunts. No, he does not kill. He only mutilates. How could he kill a soul? No, he only leaves them bleeding. No, he only takes away their limbs. No, he only shreds the fur, plucks the feathers, a charming smile on his face. Gleaming eyes portray his enjoyment. Look now, his baby cousin. He takes him for a walk… some alone time. Smiles his charming smile, “Look baby, pretty blade, how it sparkles…” Handsome lord, inside and out. Kind soul, kind heart.

The sunset, the gorgeous, gorgeous sunset. It is beautiful, but… never mind. Never mind it sets on injustice. What does it matter, to those fanatics, the suffering of tortured hostages, cold-hearted, prospering killers? They see the sunset that is of a distinguished beauty, it sets over families, families of panic-stricken beings, waiting, waiting for the siren to mark the bombing of their home, waiting for news of their own, of wrecked body and soul. Real beauty, is it not? The setting sun that brings more pain and no relief.

Breathtaking view. Peaceful, pleasant to the eye, surely this is beauty. Oh, yes… no, but, never mind. Never mind that years before, death reigned here. Of course, it was ‘beautiful’. Stiff piles. Stiff piles of those who moved and talked, and lived and loved. Nay, hardly corpses, naked skeletons. Those who saw, and felt that which should have never been. Round-bellied children, faint with hunger, nothing more than scared, hollow creatures. Shouts of “Heil Hitler,” laughter and smiles as the hunted dropped motionless, as old and young lost everything in chambers where poison pellets rained down, as smoke raced out of the chimneys, seeking final rest in the sky, as limp skin and bones fell down, embracing the frigid ground. This is ‘beautiful’, is it not, 11… million, such a ‘lovely’ number… of those who will never pick out beauty on this cruel, cold, hard earth.

This is somewhat of a blend; there is a non-fiction historical part, but most of it is realistic fiction.

pandafyre BRONZE, Grinnell, Iowa

“You dress in shadows, brother, but there is starlight in your eyes”

-Elizabeth Bear, All the Windwracked Stars

I disagree that the wording is confusing. It makes sense once you get a feel for your writing style, which I love. It's definitely unique. Next time you can try adding a specific scene, possibly with dialogue if it feels right. Other than that, I enjoy your perspective on beauty and it's something everyone should take into account.

-Red Scott

Thanks for the advice. Can you give me an example of confuzing wording and places needing punctuation? I had proofread already, but I am not quite sure what exactly to fix.

In addition, this was meant as a cynical piece, showing that people should sometimes look beyond the apparent beauty. If some parts sounded sadistic, that was not my purpose. I did not mean to endorse killing and such, but to describe and to speak against it using cynicysism.

And sure, I'll read your story.

NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

After I read this twice I started to get it.  The wordings in this confused me a lot.  I knew everything was supposed to sound cynical and sarcastic, but there wasn't very much punctuation so it was hard to decode how these words are supposed to be said and read.  Good concept, though, very original.  I'm oretty sure your emotion and such was good in this, but not 100% because again, I'm not sure of how this was supposed to be read in places...

All I'd say though is add some commas, question marks and exclamation points and then you've got a rock'n story :)

Can you comment and rate my story, "Encounter"?

-Red Scott

Thanks, I'm very glad you think it flowed nicely!

-Red Scott

Thank you very much!

SamIsSmiling GOLD, Rimbey, Alabama

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

I loved this, never could I make something that flowed as easily or sounded as smart as this did! (:

TheNovaClytie PLATINUM, Woodhaven, Michigan

If I could run away from my problems, I'd probably get lost, and then new problems would find me.
~Shelby Seeley

i could never compile something so true. our world is cruel and cold, and you put that into words like i never could. beautiful, truely

-Red Scott

Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate your comment!

kookoodood PLATINUM, McGregor, Texas
This is absolute brilliance at its finest. I am completely and utterly blown away. You are incredible and if this doesn't get published I will throw a hissy fit. Seriously, absolutely incredible work. Genius.

-Red Scott

Thanks very much :)

shabam34 GOLD said...
shabam34 GOLD, St. Helens, Oregon

Laughing until your stomach hurts :)
That's what friends are for <3

Wow! That hook was so unique. It just pulled me in. The nice flow of the story kept me interested the whole time. Nice work :)

-Red Scott

Thank you!! By the way, I do have some more work up :)

NicAliceF GOLD said...
NicAliceF GOLD, Tacoma, Washington

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway

Well written. I see it as more of a poem than anything, but I really like it. It paints a wild picture that is easy and yet slightly frightening to see. You should put up more work. :)