The Letter 'O' | Teen Ink

The Letter 'O'

By AlexTraxinger PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas
AlexTraxinger PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

A face stared back at him as he gazed into the deep blue of the nighttime waters; but the face did not belong to him or anyone around him, as the bridge on which he stood was always desolate, especially at this time of night. The face belonged to his only one, and her face was painted with such anger that it felt like her pain was jumping from the water, attacking his heart. He closed his eyes, trying not to see her anymore, but her figure had been etched into the back of his eyelids. It felt like rain was pouring down inside of him, like a sad rumble of thunder was residing within his lungs, like he had something to say, but he couldn't get his tongue around the syllables of words that he couldn't even begin to comprehend at the moment. There wasn't a single soul that would hear him anyway, so he felt like maybe it didn't matter. He just thought that if he could get out the feelings creating chaos inside of him, that maybe he would feel better; but, then he thought, he probably deserved to feel this way.

And so, the boy began to drop everything into the waters beneath him, because he felt so heavy on the inside. First, he removed his watch from his wrist and let it slide from his fingers. It made a small splash in the water and broke a piece of her face. Then, he took each of his shoes off of his feet and pushed them into the river. They were followed by his socks, which simply floated on top of the water, like dead and elongated mice. Next, he took of his T-shirt and the piece of clothing joined his socks on the top. He took his wallet from his pocket and let it slip from his grip, knowing that all of the green bills and pictures inside would soon be soaked and ruined. Then, he dropped his phone, followed by his glasses. For the sake of decency, the boy left his pants on, but he took the last thing that he was wearing, which was also the most important thing, and watched it make the smallest splash before it descended deep down into the water. Without that ring on his finger, he felt emptier than the letter 'O'.

Then, he leaped into the water, hoping that this would end all of her disappointment in him.