Penchant For Adventure | Teen Ink

Penchant For Adventure

April 6, 2010
By Emily.Anne BRONZE, Marblehead, Massachusetts
Emily.Anne BRONZE, Marblehead, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."


When the casting letter arrived in the mail, I checked the top of it three times to make sure it was really addressed to me. "Miss Katherine Smith" was written in perfect, neat cursive, so it couldn't have been a mistake. But to think I had gotten cast in a movie, however small it was, was mind-blowing. Other than playing a munchkin in fifth grade, I had absolutely no experience. Just a movie-business uncle and a penchant for adventure.


Now I was walking toward the Universal Filming Studious, holding nothing but my script as the main character's best friend and a rush of excitement as strong as the west coast tide (which was breath-taking, considering this trip was only my second time seeing the ocean).


As I pushed open the grand doors, a few people greeted me by smiling politely. Among them was a burly security guard. As I passed, I wondered why a security guard would ever be necessary for such a small little project.


Sauntering over to the secretary's prestigious counter, I sweetly asked where I should go, and was directed down an elegant hallway, up a flight of stair, and into a much less embellished workroom. It reminded me of my music classroom back at school: nothing noteworthy yet, but jam-packed with possibilities.


I was alone in the room for a panic-filled second. I couldn't be alone - this was all too new and foreign. But, like an angel heard my prayer, the sound of footsteps was now audible. I could see the outline of a man's - or boy's figure, then the knob turned and the door pushed open.


Before he was halfway in, the mystery guy asked, "Is anyone in here?". His voice indicated that he couldn't see me. I had to speak up. Speaking had never been my best attribute.


"Um, yeah, I'm here", I answered, trying hard to hide my timidness. As he stepped into the bare room, my mind went in a million different directions. His skin was a beautiful, silky russet color. He walked with such grace and confidence it was intoxicating.


At about the same time, I realized his picture was plastered onto 99% of teenage girls' bedroom wall's. "Oh, hi", I said nonchalantly as he stuck out a golden hand to me. "You must be the new girl! I'm Taylor." Maybe it was my imagination, but I could swear there was a hint of excitement in his voice. "Yeah, I know", I stuttered, blushing.


I had never given Taylor Lautner much thought. To me he had been just another overrated handsome celebrity, something I knew I would never be. But meeting him in person was like being reborn. Just the mere ten words he greeted me with made me feel like fainting.


Feeling like an idiot for staring in awe, I shook myself back into realization, and decided this was the time I needed to introduce myself. "I'm Katie." I shook his hand. It was just as strong as I had assumed.


"Im not sure where everyone else is", he wondered aloud, "but we've probably got some time to kill." Awkward silence seemed to stretch on forever. "How about I show you around the studios?", he asked, clasping hold of my sweaty hand. "That sounds awesome!", I spit out, flabbergasted.


After all, I had a penchant for adventure.