Thanks to Mighty Girl | Teen Ink

Thanks to Mighty Girl

March 14, 2010
By horsie_luver SILVER, Tigard, Oregon
horsie_luver SILVER, Tigard, Oregon
5 articles 1 photo 56 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I cannot live without books."-Thomas Jefferson


The ambulance screamed down the road towards the hospital.

“Where’s Mighty?” whispered Kay Spencer hoarsely but frantically. “Is she ok? Please let her be alright,” prayed Kay.

“She’s okay. Just be quite and relax,” soothed Kay’s adoptive father, Al Spencer.

“Morgan is at home taking care of Mighty Girl. We all know how close and special she is to you,” added Kay’s stepmother, Lisha Spencer.

“Good,” sighed a relieved Kay. “Wait - did you say Morgan?”

“Yes,” confirmed Mr. Spencer. “We’ll explain when we get to the hospital.”

Kay was blacking out when the ambulance came to a stop at the Texan hospital. The next thing she knew, she was waking up in the hospital 10 hours later with a cast on all of her right leg and arm, and most of her golden-blonde hair cut off.

“What happened?” Kay groaned to her parents, sitting worriedly beside her.

“Good! You’re awake. Mighty threw you while you were riding and you severely fractured your leg. Also, the bone in your arm is cracked, but that’s not too serious,” reported Lisha. “Your hair had a bit of blood in it, so the doctors cut some of it off to same you from having to try to wash it out. Don’t worry, it’ll always grow back.”

Kay’s father continued, “Morgan felt badly about this all, so she canceled the race. Here, she wrote you a letter.”

It wasn’t very long, not even a page long. But what surprised Kay was that it was on Morgan’s special, homemade stationary, the stuff that she never let Kat touch. The letter said:

Dear Kay,
I’m very sorry that Mighty Girl spooked. It was my fault.

What? Kay thought. Morgan wasn’t anywhere nearby when Mighty bolted, unless she was hiding. The letter explained though.
I had set a trap intended to make you jump so that you would sprain your ankle and couldn’t ride Mighty for the race. I knew that you would probably ride there with Mighty Girl, which is why I tried to stop you from going.

I know that you would have won anyways, so I’m going to let you have the $20 prize that we had planned. I promise to take fantastic care of Mighty while you are stuck at the hospital. Don’t worry, your pesky twin, Kyle, won’t let me not take amazing care of her. That way she’ll be ready to ride when you heal up. Mighty and I will come visit. I promise.


Love, Morgan


“What? Did-did you make her write this? Did she tell you this willingly? What-”

“Slow down, Kay! Your mouth is running as fast as a wild mustang! Obviously the anesthetics have worn off,” teased Al. “Now about your questions. No, we did not make her write this letter. After she got home from her friend’s house and heard what happened, she didn’t come out of her room for two hours. When she did come out, she gave us this, told us not to read it, and make sure to hand it too you personally.”

“After we assured her that we would follow all of her instructions,” continued Mrs. Spencer, suddenly serious, “she told us what she did. Every other sentence that she said must have been ‘I’m sorry!’ or ‘I’m so sorry!’. Apparently, Morgan thought that she would be made fun of if she lost to a 13 year old girl who was 2 years younger than her. Morgan did get into big trouble (she’s grounded)-”

“But that means she’ll have the time to take extremely good care of Mighty Girl,” interrupted Kay’s dad.

“Ok, but what did she mean when she said ‘Mighty and I will come visit. I promise.’?”

“Morgan is grounded. BUT we did say that she could visit you.”

“But why did she say that she would bring Mighty? To get my hopes up just to have Morgan break them-again?”

“No. She really meant it. What’s going to happen in a couple days is we are going to drive Morgan and Kyle over here to visit with you. While you three are visiting, Al and I are going to drive the horse trailer over here with Mighty Girl in it, and you and Mighty can see each other again.”

Three days passed and sure enough, what Kay’s parents said came true. They did in fact drop Morgan, Kay’s stepsister, and Kyle, Kay’s twin brother who was also a very good friend of Kay’s, off at the hospital to talk with Kay. While Morgan and Kay had an awkward silence between them, Kyle got Kay caught up with what was happening at school and at home. Finally, ...

“Oh, Kay! I’m so sorry!” Morgan interrupted. “I didn’t mean any harm.”

“Yes you did,” muttered Kyle.

“Will-will you forgive me?”

Kay was stunned. Never before had Morgan asked forgiveness for something she had done to Kay.

“I-uh-um-I forgive you...,” Kay said, bewildered as she was, “but why are you asking for forgiveness?? You-You’ve never done that before!”

“Maybe I should leave,” Kyle mumbled as he slunk out of the room towards the horse trailer.

Embarrassed, Morgan admitted, “I’ve changed. I’ve seen how brave you’ve been through all this. I know that you’re a Christian, so I decided, ‘I want someone who I can rely on like that and who knows all my needs.’”

“You became a Christian?” exclaimed Kay, excitedly. In her excitement, she tried to sit up, but them remembered that Kay wasn’t to sit up for now since she had the cast on.

“Yeah, and I brought you this present.”

Before Kay opened the present, she saw a card, so she opened that first. The card said, “I’m so sorry. Words cannot express how sorry I am about what I did. I am going to give you the prize money and double. Love, Morgan P.S. There is one present in here for you. The other is for you to give to anyone.” Kay opened the present to find two copies of the same book of Bible devotionals.

“Thank you, Morgan. I’ve always wanted something like this,” Kay said softly. She handed one of them to Morgan. “Here. I think you should have this. Just think. It’s thanks to Mighty Girl that you became a Christian!”

“Thank you, Kay. If you hadn’t shown so much courage through it all, then I wouldn’t be a Christian. Now, you have a horse to say hello to!”


The author's comments:
I have a friend named Kay who lives in Texas, so I kind of modeled my main character after her.