Jean Kipplestien | Teen Ink

Jean Kipplestien

February 8, 2010
By Nikki-Tabibian GOLD, Los Angeles, California
Nikki-Tabibian GOLD, Los Angeles, California
13 articles 6 photos 2 comments

The boy walks in, a lifeless surrender in his eye and his shoulders slouched like a prisoner nearing death’s row. “Try this” says the teacher, as the boy approaches the bench and sits before the piano. Gently placing his hands on the keys, he begins to play. Hesitant at first, he plays softly and begins to crescendo, like an oceans rippling tides, thrusting forward and falling back with ease. The song is the sparrows cry, mourning her broken wing, for without it she cannot fly to her lovers nest. A hopeless tune he plays, and although the lesson ends, the song remains to narrate his life.
The song played is the sparrows cry, and the sparrow is Jean Bonnet, wounded and dismayed, and stripped of flight by life’s cruel intent.

The author's comments:
A scene of a boys life, based in World War II, attending a catholic all boys school in France. The Priest agrees to hide him and allows him to attend school with the other boys. He excells in all classes and creats a fake name (Jean Bonnet) to shield his identity. This scene describes one of the many piano lessons he had while attending the school, before discovered by the Gestapo and sent to his death in Auschwitz.