her favorite song | Teen Ink

her favorite song

November 30, 2009
By jessi GOLD, Nunya, Florida
jessi GOLD, Nunya, Florida
15 articles 4 photos 115 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."


She sat there, listening to her older sister's CD. Cally didn’t know the song, but somehow the music spoke to her. She sat, totally absorbed. Her sister walked in, yelled "MOM! CALLY'S IN MY ROOM AGAIN!" Cally scampered out, a small shadow of her sister 10 years ago.
Seven years later, she sat on the bus. Holding her iPod, she stared out of the window. The bus rumbled, lurched. Cally felt like she would throw up. She turned up her iPod, scrolled down without having to look. Once again, the music floated into her ears. She felt calmer, nerves soothed as she went into her first day of high school.
Six months later, she lay on her bed sobbing. She’d fought with Kenny, her best friend and boyfriend, and she thought he was going to break up with her. She grabbed her headphones, turned the music up all the way, blocked out the world. Prayed that if the music was loud enough, it would blast away everything that was wrong.
Four years passed. Then they were at the fancy restaurant, and a violin was playing softly. They suddenly started up a tune that Cally knew well. She looked at the violinist surprised, and then back at Kenny. He was on one knee, holding out a diamond ring.
They were saying their vows, kissing, cutting the cake. Kenny fed her a piece gently, as if she were a porcelain doll. Then her father was asking her to dance. The song started up, and she held on to her dad, smelling his scent of cologne and smoke.
In the delivery room, Kenny had the radio on. Her song was playing, half over. A few more songs played, harmonizing to Cally's moans of pain and the doctor telling her to push, push, breath. Finally, the doctor smiled, handed her a baby girl. She smiled at Kenny. He smoothed Cally’s hair, kissed her. "She has your eyes" she murmured.
Years later, the song played again. It could be heard by Cally’s daughter as she was held crying by Kenny. All of their family was there, along with some friends. Cally was there too, front and center, lying down, smiling softly. Right in front of the minister, as he said his prayer for the family and asked that everyone be helped through this time. When he gave the invitation for everyone to share stories, the sobbing grew louder as they remembered her.
Later, at home, Cally’s daughter grabbed her headphones, turned the music up all the way, blocked out the world. Prayed that if the music was loud enough, it would blast away everything that was wrong.


The author's comments:
i wrote this on the bus one day because i was really bored. i feel like it should be shorter, but not really sure what should be taken out. all feedback is appreciated! :)