Eulogy for a Lost Friend | Teen Ink

Eulogy for a Lost Friend

By rebelliouself5 GOLD, Cranberry Twp., Pennsylvania
rebelliouself5 GOLD, Cranberry Twp., Pennsylvania

"Never take life seriously, nobody lives through it anyway."

What can I say about Hayley Muzyn? She was truly a one-of-a-kind, original person whose loss will be felt by everyone. One thing I’ll always manage to remember with joy is that even though she is gone, Hayley definitely went out with a bang. She never was one to sit around and let others do things for her, or to just live with the hand she was dealt. Hayley always stood up for herself and protected her friends, even from each other. I guess that’s why it’s no surprise that she died the way she did, fighting till the end. For those of you who haven’t heard or don’t know, Hayley Muzyn died on April 1st, 2009 in the middle of Main Street. She’d been taking a walk through town one day when she came across a man dragging a little boy down an alley way. Thinking there was something wrong, Hayley did what many would not, and walked up to the man, asking him what he was doing. The man was shocked that a short, inconsequential-looking girl of fifteen would dare stop him, and told her to “mind her own business.” The little boy by this time was crying and struggling in earnest, so in a brave move, Hayley kicked him in the stomach, knocking him down and freeing the little boy who immediately ran to a police officer leaving the local bakery. Meanwhile, the man got up and chasing Hayley down the street, shot her twice in the chest, killing her almost instantly. The man, just a few seconds later, was hit by a speeding SUV and paralyzed from the neck down.

Hayley Muzyn was a true friend, and one of my dearest. She will be forever missed and mourned by those who knew her. She never failed to speak her mind or fight for what she thought was right. Even though she was guilty of having a slight temper, Hayley was always understanding and cared for everyone. I will always remember the fun times and crazy jokes we shared and the great memories we had. Hayley really was a great friend, one who had an air of craziness and warmth about her that could never be imitated or copied, and will be remembered until the end. Hayley, we give you our hearts and our love, and hope that wherever you rest, you never feel alone.

My friend had to write a eulogy about herself for a Creative Writing class, so I decided to do one about her as well. This is it.