Not For Sale | Teen Ink

Not For Sale

By LinkiMochi PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
LinkiMochi PLATINUM, Austin, Texas

A girl went through a small clothing market after school.

The girl likes a yellow scarf.

She couldn't stop looking at it and stared at it blankly.

The seller is a middle-aged man.

"Buy it, child, this is the only one left, and it's only 10 dollars."

The girl shook her head helplessly. She doesn't have any money.

"You can ask your parents for it, I'll keep it for you, I can see that you like it very much."

The girl reluctantly left.

The whole night, she made up her mind to ask her family for money.

In the end, the girl did not mention the matter of buying the yellow scarf, and vowed never to mention it.

Her family is not rich, she knows that for a fact.

When the girl walked through the small market again, she saw the yellow scarf still fluttering in there, like a yellow butterfly.

She watched from a distance before slowly approaching.

"Did you bring money?" The seller asked.

She shook her head.

The middle-aged man stroked the yellow veil and looked at the girl again, and thought that it would be such a wonderful thing for the girl to wear the yellow scarf, so he felt sorry for the girl.

"You like it, don't you?"

"Yeah." The girl nodded earnestly.

She was ready to leave the market. If it's destined for her to not buy the scarf, it is better to leave early.

As soon as the girl walked away, the middle-aged man took off the yellow scarf and caught up with the girl.

"Child, I'll give it to you. Take it. You'll look good wearing it."

The girl was stunned: "No, I can't take other people's things for nothing." She said without hesitation.

"Take it, I am willing to give it."

"No! I will feel miserable then, worse than not having it."

The girl ran away. After running some distance, the girl turned around and said, "I can still see it standing upstairs anyway. If I can see it, then it's better than having it."

The middle-aged man stood there.

Since then, the girl no longer went to the market. If it's doomed for her to buy the scarf, isn't it better to bypass it?

When the girl got tired of her homework, she looked downstairs to see the yellow scarf dancing in the breeze. Many days have passed, and the yellow scarf is still hanging there. Why does it hang there and no one buys it?

That yellow scarf decorated the girl's dream.

In fact, it is very simple, the middle-aged person hangs a label next to it. The label says:

Not For Sale.

A short story.