Cold-Hearted | Teen Ink

Cold-Hearted

By ChaiTea125 PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
ChaiTea125 PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona

"Whatever you do comes back at you."

Stepping into a brown block of ice. All around I hear people shivering. No matter where I go, no one seems to be moving. All are as if they are statues, white and still. My eyes search for some source of warmth until I look up in the sky. Up there I see a small snowflake, slowly floating down to me. I stick out my tongue and close my eyes, allowing the sugary sweetness to consume me whole. At the simple touch of this masterpiece, my body collapsed. Struggling to get up, I realize I can’t move my body. After what seemed to be an eternity, I saw a great gray cloud in the sky. Following the cloud and I smell the sweet, homey feeling of the blazing fire. Forcing my hands to go near the warm fire, I hope for control to finally come back to me. However, instead of relieving myself from the brutal cold, I feel that the fire is burning off my skin. The pain is stinging me. I try, with all my might, to pull my hands away, but they won’t move. My fingers are in pain as each one slowly becomes less life ice cubes. My hands are warmed. My blood is boiling. I feel like running around, attempting to melt my body as well. I take one step to my left, and then realization dawns on me, as I realize that my fingers, not even a minute since I warmed them up, were frozen once again. My ten ice cubes on each hand turned pale white once more, leaving me with a big frown on my face. Not again!

I live in Arizona, where I, not once, experienced snow here. However, in the area I was born, there was much snow. I loved spending every winter throwing snow at my friends and making snow angels and snow men. But now, I noticed in Arizona, that no one knows about the bad things about snow. People only see the good side of the cold, but never the negatives. I am hoping to show the bad feelings one have when playing in the cold.