The Big Catch | Teen Ink

The Big Catch

I continue to cast my line on a calm summer night, I start to lose hope as the sun is no longer visible, I've waited for hours and still nothing… But wait! A huge splash hit the water right after I turned around. Water ripples so big that they crash against the shore like waves from a boat. My spirits are high so I cast one more time. I yell to my mother “grab the net!” but I hear no response. As I'm reeling I'm starting to lose hope, less and less string is out in the water and my hopes of catching the big one are drawing to a close. Then I feel a force against my reel as it starts getting harder to tug on the reel. I look at the top of the water and I see the water starting to swirl and a musky appears coming to the surface. My spirits are restored. I am filled with excitement because I am about to catch the  fish I have always been waiting for. He's putting up a good fight as I have to loosen the reel so he doesn't snap the line. Slowly but surely after listening to the fish run as the reel spins away and reeling back it felt like an eternity as I was trying to land this fish. Still no word from my mom, I'm in trouble. If I can't get a net to get this fish out of the water. Surely he will break the line if I try to pull him out without a net. As I continue to reel more and more line builds up on the spool. And there it is, I see it, the fish I have always been waiting for is right in front of my eyes. Water starts to fly out of the water splashing everywhere. I have no net so I have to try and land this fish. As I'm pulling it up from the water to the shore I hear a loud snapping noise and the fish falls back in the water. That was the last day i ever fished.

This piece is inspired by my up north cabin in eagle river Wisconsin.