A Grand Adventure | Teen Ink

A Grand Adventure

“Rosie, are you coming or not.” I shout jokingly.

“You know I am a slow walker” She yells back angerly, even though she knows I am joking.

I stand at the bottom of the cliff, excited for the adventure to come. I have never climbed something so high, let alone something so dangerous. Back at home, the two exercises that are the most fun for me are rock climbing and hiking. Now, my best friend, Rosie, and I get to combine our two favorite activities into one.

Rosie and I start the large climb ahead of us. The edge of the cliff is completely a tan-orange and almost completely smooth. The only things I can hold onto going up this cliff are small, smooth rocks on the side of the hill, but the challenge is what makes it fun.

As I climb, I can see a little bird's nest on the side of the cliff. It is made up of a variety of small twigs so I can almost see through it perfectly. As I get closer, I can hear the tiny peeps from baby birds and one louder adult bird. The birds are black with shimmers of purple and green. As I get closer to the nest, I can hear the babies crying for food, so I slip a little piece of bread from my pocket, hoping to satisfy them.

After about ten minutes I find a little edge, just enough for the two of us to sit on. When I look down so I can show Rosie the way, I can barely see her. Her blond hair perfectly blends in with the stone around her, so it is hard to spot her out.

Before I forget, I nail the spike into the dull orange wall behind me and throw the safety harness down. “I don’t see the point in me having a safety harness!” Rosie shouts from below. “I already know how to climb.”

“Rosie, you’re the clumsiest person I know” My voice echoes as the large canyon agrees with me. Begrudgingly, she puts the harness on.

Rosie starts to climb and not even two minutes later she slips on some pebbles and falls. “I don’t wanna say I told you so.”

Rosie cuts me off, “I know, I know” she says as she swings, almost hitting her head on a sharp rock next to her and gets back to climbing.

A little more than an hour later we both reach the top. Rosie and I both look at the amazing view. The sun is setting, turning the canyon a magical color orange. There are strips in the canyon that I could not notice from the bottom. The birds fly to their nests for the night in the sea of oranges and reds.

Before I can say anything, Rosie says, “This is the most magical thing I have ever seen. No wonder they call it the Grand Canyon.” I agree silently as I set up for the night, excited for the adventure to come.

I am a 14 year old girl from Louisville, KY and I wrote this short story as a descriptive writing assignment.