Stranger | Teen Ink

Stranger

June 2, 2022
By Attici-magni GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Attici-magni GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
11 articles 4 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Ceasar


When I look in the mirror, I see a stranger. It is someone that I do not recognize anymore. Hair grew out longer and hands ragged from the years of abuse. For so many years, I would swing that baseball bat and build up these thick and yellow calluses. 

When I stare into that mirror with the tarnished golden wood frame, I see someone that is crazy. 

Before, I was able to control myself and focus when I needed to. But as time progressed, that focus started to slip. I started to do things that I never thought I would do. I used to look into the mirror and see a smile, as bright as the sun. But now when I look I see a grim frown and heavy eyes that are full of sadness and despair. When I see the stranger, I want them to leave. My friend would allow me to feel, but this stranger makes me feel nothing.

I look at that stranger and I close my eyes. The skin around my eyes crinkles together and hides the gemstone blue irises that are encapsulated in an ivory white sea. I try to picture my happy place to break free from this spell that was cast upon me. These chains bind my arms and legs together and squeeze that last breath out of me. At my happy place, I sit on a burgundy red bench that has been worn from the weather. It has black legs that hold it up and these legs have paws that make it look like a lion. In my happy place, I see myself wearing a bucket hat. When I am here, the stranger is nowhere to be seen. The lake that I am sitting at is placid and you could see the reflection of the sky bouncing off of it. The sky had a slight tint of yellow that shimmered through the clouds and painted a mustard yellow across the vast land. Every time that I go to my happy place, there is always a bird, usually an eagle that soars over the lake. 

I used to think that I knew everything and that I knew myself, but every day I see myself doing different things and improving or in some cases, taking a step back. Maybe I need to look at the eagle for support. This bird is the national bird of America and is a symbol of freedom. I need to break free from the shackles that constrict me and find my inner self. A stranger is no longer a stranger once you meet them.