Stranded | Teen Ink

Stranded

January 20, 2022
By Legend123 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Legend123 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 1 comment

As I attempted to open my eyes… the vibrant orange sun beamed down on me. Burning my red tinted skin as I was unconscious. After multiple attempts, I push to get up. When I got my eyes open, I noticed what had occurred. The plane I was on crashed and I’m the only survivor. Stranded.

All the thoughts filling my head, What am I going to do, How am I going to get out. I could already feel myself going insane. 

Wrapped in my mind, I forced myself to stand up in fury and fall. The feeling of someone aggressively stabbing my right leg 50 times hits. I fall into the sand and screech. Not only was I stranded on an island alone, but now I have a broken right leg. In my head I started improvising, so that’s exactly what I did.

I crawled to the nearest tree and took some leaves and flexible sticks and made myself a bandage to cover my open wounds. I figured nothing would help me with my leg, so as I scurried around the island, I used one leg.

After about an hour of thinking, I started to give up. I sat under a palm tree staring. Staring at the never ending blue sea. Waves crashing and clashing against stones, birds flying over me, fish swimming around, clueless and worryless like nothing had ever happened.

Listening to the clashes of the waves, on the urge to fall asleep in broad daylight, I hear a noise. An unordinary noise. As I slowly opened my eyes, a reddish orange cargo ship with aged metal rusting down the sides causing brown streaks to ruin the aesthetic of the ship was in my sight. My hopes were fulfilled in an instant. From thinking about dying alone on an island to being rescued.

I had to think fast about what to do on how to reach them. Should I scream? Should I throw something? But then it hit me, my glasses. I remembered that in the movies, sunlight reflects off of them and is used as a beam of light.

I ripped them off and started to attempt the strategic strategy. My hopes have never been higher than this moment. I shimmy my glasses to get a perfect glare into the cockpit of the boat. Hoping to get the captain's attention. For about 30 seconds, as I had a clear view of the Captains quarters, I attempted to get his attention. But there was no sign of acknowledgement.

With all hope lost in the matter of seconds. I hear a clash followed by the sound of a horn. My heart stopped beating and all doubt was lost. The only thing I could think was, I’m Saved.


The author's comments:

There are many different stylistic devices used; Imagery, Ellipses, Thoughts in Ittalics, Showing not Telling, and short sentences/fragments.