An Extraordinary Act of Kindness: Anthony's Perspective | Teen Ink

An Extraordinary Act of Kindness: Anthony's Perspective

December 14, 2021
By TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas
TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas
37 articles 2 photos 147 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson


Anthony has just finished his random acts of kindness challenge that his school has given to all of their students. He was so thrilled to submit his completed chart with a glittery smiley face sticker in every square, showing that he had finished those tasks and acts of kindness. 

“One hundred in total!” Anthony’s mom had told him, “You are quite the kindness master.”

Anthony smiled at the memory from the previous morning. He skipped to the front office and smiled up at Mr. Hoppmun, the front office manager.

“Well, aren't you joyful today?” Mr. Hoppmun asked little Anothony, “Now, what can I do for you young man?”

Anthony beamed up at Mr. Hoppmun, and held out his sticker-covered paper.

“I completed my ‘Kindness Chart’! My teacher said that when I do, I can turn it in to the office to get a prize!” Anthony practically squealed, he was so excited to see what his prize was going to be.

Mr. Hoppmun took the paper from Anthony and smiled. He took out a sparkly highlighter from his pocket and wrote a check mark on Anthony’s paper.

“Yes, you indeed completed the chart. Well done Anthony! Let me walk you to Mrs. Beacher. She will give you your prize.”

Anthony jumped up and down as Mr. Hoppmun walked him down the halfway, and gently tapped on Mrs. Beacher’s door.

“Come in!” a sweet voice called from the inside of the room.

Mr. Hoppmun opened the door gently and said, “Mrs. Beacher, Anthony Parks has come to see you for the ‘Kindness Chart’ matter.”

Mrs. Beacher was a gentle and kind woman. Her round cheeks and fair skin was framed by her short and wavy black hair. Her eyes were bright and her face had a youthful glow to it. If you had just met the woman, you would question if she was the living and breathing Snow White, the fairest of them all. 

“Hi Mrs. Beacher!” Anthony exclaimed and ran across the room to give her a BIG hug. His arms only reached around her waist though, but he hugged her anyway.

“Oof!” Mrs. Beacher huffed as Anthony squeezed.

Mrs. Beacher removed Anthony’s arms from her waist and walked him to a cushioned chair, where he sat down and relaxed.

“Just some quick questions before you can get your reward, okay?” Mrs. Beacher asked politely.

Anthony nodded and sat up straight and tall to show he was listening.

“Okay, so how did being kind to your siblings go?”

Anthony thought hard for a moment, and then replied, “Well, my sister didn’t like me in her room, but I was just trying to make her bed so she didn’t have to. She kicked me out, but I went when she wasn’t looking, and I made her bed, and fed her fish. He died though . . .”

Mrs. Beacher felt bad for Anthony, “Aww, well that’s okay. I think your sister’s fish lived a happy life.”

Anthony looked at his feet and sighed, “Yeah, I guess he did.”

Mrs. Beacher half-smiled encouragingly. 

“What about when you served a stranger?” Mrs. Beacher asked.

“O! That was fun! Mommy and I had to go to Wallcart-”

“Walmart” Mrs. Beacher corrected.

“Oh, yeah that, and I bought flowers with my allowance. We then looked around the parking lot to see who I could give them to. I gave them to a nice old lady. Once I gave them to her, she told me it was her birthday, and she was so happy to  get a gift. Even from a stranger.”

Mrs. Beacher smiled, delighted, “And how did that make you feel?”

Anthony pointed to his stomach, “Like I had just eaten thanksgiving. I felt happy inside.”

Mrs. Beacher laughed at his expression of thanksgiving, “Yes, that is great, Anthony, and what about helping your Mom?”

“Well,” Anthony explained, “I don’t have a mom, so I helped my aunt. I hope that counts . . .”

“It does, absolutely.”  Mrs. Beacher said.

“Okay, so I helped my Aunt Emi by helping her pull the weeds from their driveway and backyard. It was hard work!” Anthony exclaimed.

“And how did you feel after that?” Mrs. Beacher asked.

“Hungry, mostly. And hot! But I was happy, and we talked a lot when we pulled weeds. She took me out for ice cream later with my cousin Ameila too!”

Mrs. Beacher pulled one of her metal drawers out of her desk.

“So, doing service made you feel happy? Every time?” Mrs. Beacher asked.

Anthony thought for a minute, “Yeah, it does. And I want to do more!” 

“That’s great, sweetie.” Mrs. Beacher said and pulled out a bracelet with a silver charm attached to it.

“What’s that?” Anthony asked, curious.

“It’s a reminder of your prize.”

Anthony wrinkled his eyebrows. Mrs. Beacher wrapped the bracelet around his hand and pointed to the charm.

“Can you read what that says for me?” Mrs. Beacher said.


Anthony squinted at the words on the charm,”Remember . . . the reward for kindness . . . is your happiness. . . and others.” Anthony swirled around his brain for a moment and then beamed up at Mrs. Beacher.

Mrs. Beacher smiled and nodded at him, “That’s your prize.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

Years later, Anthony still wears his bracelet as he walks from his highschool campus, to his college campus. He will forever remember the lesson his elementary principal had taught him.
“Remember,” Anthony said to himself, “the reward for kindness is your happiness, and others.” Anthony smiled to himself and took his first step towards his future.


The author's comments:

This was for the Extraordinary Act of Kindness Contest during October, but my word limit was too short, but I still wanted to share this piece. Thank you TeenInk for being supportive!