If Only She Won | Teen Ink

If Only She Won

By lillylape25 SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
lillylape25 SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky

Mrs. Linda lived a great life and spent every moment doing what she loved, teaching. A couple months ago Mrs. Linda was recognized at her school as a ‘Teacher Hall of Famer’ for her 37 years of work and everything she had done for the school. And here is her story.

Mrs. Linda was 60 years old, and a teacher. But she isn’t a ‘normal’ teacher; she wore bright pants and beautiful-flower covered shirts. She wore these clothes for a reason: Linda is a teacher for the disabled and she loved all of her students. But that year it was different. Because, her class consisted of six children all a visual or hearing disability. Linda loved teaching these kids because her daughter was just like them. These kids made her choose to switch up her wardrobe a bit. Some days she wore shiny pants. Other days she wore pants with things hot glued on them; things like cotton balls and glittery pipe cleaners. Linda loved teaching these kids, but then…

Covid hit!

The president of her school said that classes would be out for two weeks. That made Mrs. Linda a bit less worried. But then two weeks passed, and they still weren’t in school.

Every day after those two weeks, Linda could feel something that she couldn’t explain; she knew that they weren’t going for a while. The president of the school sent out an email that talked about how they will have to go to online learning because of the virus.

Mrs. Linda read that email, her heart started to beat so fast it felt like she had horses running on her chest and her hands felt like she had lakes in them. She didn’t know how she was going to teach her kids over a computer.

A couple weeks pasted and Mrs. Linda was doing great with being online. It was almost winter break which was when everything was supposed to go back to normal. But then it all changed!

After Mrs. Linda came back from winter break, she had a high fever and a painful cough. Mrs. Linda talked to her daughter and got some unexpected news. She found out her grandson had contracted Covid from his friend. He was having the same symptoms as Linda. She was terrified she started to shake like an earthquake happened right below her. Linda called her school and told them that she had caught Corona and would not be able to go back in.

She  then called 911. Linda told the 911 dispatcher that she thought she may have Covid and she was having trouble breathing.

They sent over an ambulance but once she got off the phone her symptoms got even worst.

When the medics got there Linda, was on the floor, gasping for air. One of the medics realized that she was just scared and nervous. That was why it was so hard to breath.

She was taken to the hospital. She was then tested for illnesses like strep throat and Covid. All came back negative, but one was positive which was for Covid.

Linda was not able to leave the hospital until she was quarantined for two weeks and which meant no teaching. She was devastated. She hated it at the hospital since she rarely got to see anyone, because the virus was contagious. After two weeks, Linda hadn’t gotten any better. two more weeks past of trying to recover from the virus. Linda was not able to beat it and sadly passed away because of the virus.

My piece is about a teacher that has to live through the time of the Coronavirus.