Introducing: Lyra(this is only a dream from the begining) | Teen Ink

Introducing: Lyra(this is only a dream from the begining)

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

A scream toward the quiet, still night. A sudden scuffle of fleeing creatures answered. After a moment I realized the scream was mine. I didn’t dare look behind me. I wanted to smell the night, hear the spring peepers, admire the perfect crescent moon and winking stars in the clear sky. Unfortunately, I was in the process of running for my life. Have you ever played tag, or ran to get something, as fast as you can and your legs feel like rubber, the harder you pump, the slower you go? Let me assure you, the same applies when you flee a monster bent on your destruction… But wait, what? Monsters aren’t real. So why am I running from one in an unfamiliar forest? No time, how can I escape? I glanced back to see a tiger the size of a minivan with human eyes. Eerie, intelligent eyes so blue they were almost black. Familliar eyes(but it feels like they should be in no way intelligent). Evil eyes, promising pain. Aha! A tree I could climb. I dove for it and scrambled up… There! A house! Made of straw, but a house. I jumped as far as I could. The landing hurt, but I pressed forward. At last I got there and ran, slamming the door behind me. “Little girl, little girl, let me come in!” What?, I thought. “Fat Chance!” I mustered all my defiance, to hide my confusion. “Then I’ll hufflepuff and blow the door in!” “For goodness sake, we aren’t in a Grimms’ fairytale or nursery rhyme, grow up--” And then the door came crashing in. “What the heck?!” I ran, and saw a stick house. This earned a massive eye-roll, but any shelter in a storm. I heard a knock at the door as I was questioning both what the heck was going on, and my sanity. “Go away!” I called, trying to sound confident and nonchalant. Pretty sure I failed since this earned a chuckle. “Then I’ll hufflepuff and blow the window in!” he cried. “You have fun with that.” The window crashed in and broken glass nearly cut my eye. I gave my equivalent of swearing: “Dang it!” and ran for the brick house, wondering how I teleported out. He was gaining though. Just before I made it he pounced and pinned me down. Last resort. Talking. 

“This isn’t how the story goes.” Then a massive claw came down and it all went black. Oh, my eyes were closed, no wonder it was black.I opened them and saw my room, dimly lit. I groaned. “What a ridiculous dream.” and was that me? I never roll my eyes. And no giant tiger would case me, i wouldnt run. Id just sit there and take it, i never stand up for myself. It hit me then, why those eyes were so famillar. Dameons eyes. Mmm, and how nice going back to sleep in my warm, cozy bed, and closing my heavy eyes… Mmm….

the entire book is written(277 pages) but i can't post very much on ti bc if i decide to publish it, which i probably will, i cant have ti have legal rights over it. to that end, i will probably delete this to at some point. if i don't take out the entire thing, it doesn't match her personality. thruout the book she is compared to a mouse. in fact, she has 3 talents: art, squeaking, and shrinking when dameon(bully) is nearby. or when anyone is nearby. my writing has improved since this, but to date this is my only completed full length novel(when i was younger i wrote some "books" averaging at 20 pages, but i don't count those. obviously.)