An Ordinary Shade of Blue | Teen Ink

An Ordinary Shade of Blue

By FirstSteps5000 SILVER, Bethesda, Maryland
FirstSteps5000 SILVER, Bethesda, Maryland

"If you reach for the stars, you'll just get the stars. Reach for the heavens and you get the stars thrown in." - unknown
"These aren't just stories,"... …"They're whole kingdoms. They're worlds. They're perspectives and opinions you can't offer, from lives you haven't lived." - The Isle of the Lost
"When someone does something hurtful, they have to admit it... [t]hen they have to be punished for it. And maybe then, if they apologize and change, maybe -maybe- *then* they get forgiven." - The One and Only Bob

When I was with Michael, everything sparkled. The birds, the trees, the sky - especially the sky. It’s what brought us together, after all. Two photographers who met while photographing the same patch of blue. On that day, I could swear the sky was azure. Not Michael. He told me that to him, it looked as if made of sapphire. We published a collection of photos called “Hues of the Sky” and married soon after. Those were the happiest years of my life; precious, like a robin’s egg. And though I didn’t know it, our life was fragile. Three years after we married, Michael died. Now nothing sparkles. Nothing glitters or glimmers, shimmers or shines. My life is cold and bleak. Without Michael here, the sky is no longer draped in jewel tones. It is not sapphire or azure, not blue diamond or turquoise. It is just an ordinary shade of blue.

This is the first short story that I wrote that wasn't for school. 

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

wow thats amazing