The Cycle | Teen Ink

The Cycle

January 6, 2020
By fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky
fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke


The wind blew, causing the leaves to shutter and move along with the twirls of the air. The ground was dry, crusty and crumbly. The grass felt like chalky stems, the dryness preventing the beautiful green color. The sky was a deep hue of blue, showing the soft white clouds to be seen floating above.

 

The earth was silent, the small movements of each object and item all around the deserted place. The dryness heated the atmosphere, causing the grass to dry out much more than it should. The bugs were hidden in the plants, showing the loss of courage and the weakness in the choosing of their homes. The sounds of birds were absent, non-existent. It was eerie as the wind blue, soft brittles of dirt flying with it, into swirls and patterns. Each cicada that would cause the world to shake with its loud buzzing, was now silent and soft. They were just as hidden as an ant in an ant hill. The crickets were in the grass, desperately hoping for water to come and wash away the chalky feeling of the plant that stood before them and incased their small bodies into a cage of green. But no matter what, each bug and animal stayed silent.

 

The wild animals were sleeping, hibernating for this great deal of heat and dryness. No animal was seen in sight, they were all away in their own spots of safety and comfort, and the heat hadn't reached them once. Their big bellies, large coats and humungous paws that kept themselves safe from harm and distress. The eyes had shown power and dominance, brightest of blue to the darkest of black, each animal had their own way of showing their claim on something very initial to become their own. The animals shown their own sounds and ways of doing daily tasks such as their own of hunting, grooming and sleeping.

 

There was a sudden noise, a sudden shiver in the wind that rattled and made the dry grass make the sound of paper rubbing each other slowly. Another movement sound, like a thud against the dry ground, dirt crackling and flying to spray into small shards into the grass. Bright, electric blue eyes immerged through the back of a dark rock, the grant fur showing soft gray stripes and full-coated white fur. The animal had long, sharp fangs inside their mouth, their tail short and fluffy. The animal crept down the dry path, it’s stomach bulging and its ribs carved out, easily able to be seen. Its eyes were the brightest of blue, showing pride and courage, they were weak yet they held more strength than a full adult lion.

 

Its body was fail and small, it looks as if it hadn’t eaten for days, it looks draught by the storms such as tornados, that have passed through this abused land. The animal was seen to be in the cat family of breed, it looked like it wanted to truly meow out in help, using its vocal cords for some kind of safe word to be protected, find any kind of shelter possible, find food. But there was nothing in sight, every living thing had watched this gentle cat walk down this path, not daring to exit their current hiding spots to go an assist the weak cat in true depths of need and help. Then there was a soft scurry, tiny feet hitting the ground many times, dust gently floating into the air as the smaller animal stopped in front of the weak cat, its eyes drooping closed from exhaustion.

 

The smaller animal crawled onto the cats back and the cat turned its head to get a good look, two black eyes staring back at the blue of the cats own. The animal seemed to be a ferret, it’s long tail curling around one of the cat’s paws, the cat didn’t know what to do, it decided to finally take the rest is desperately needed for many days, it’d been traveling for so long. The cat thumped onto its side and closed its dry eyes slowly and moved its bumpy tongue around the inside of its mouth.

 

Then something happens that no sort of nature in that part of the world would ever guess to occur in a place like that, slow droplets of rain begin to touch the grass, the trees, the ground, the cat and the small ferret. The cat had never felt such an amazing sensation, it decided to open its mouth as the droplets of rain began to wet its dry tongue, it quickly got up from its stance of weakness and tiredness to begin catching more droplets onto its tongue, feeling small bits of relief as it let the droplets slide down its dry throat. The ferret joined, its own mouth opening and snapping at the wet droplets of rain to have showered above them. The moon was approaching between the dark, gray, water-filled clouds as the cool air flew around them in something such as an aura.

 

Soon another animal made a sound that the cat species new all too well about, a small squeak erupted into a small hole in the ground, the cat decided to investigate. Its paws stomped the ground and popped its face into the hole, seeing baby mice piled on top of each other, the cat has never felt such a sensation with hunger so badly. Its teeth grasped onto one of the mice and gulped one down in a single gulp, its eyes watering as the small mouse, unconsciously made its way down the cat’s throat and into its stomach. The cat had never been so happy to be in this place just at this very moment to find the biggest of a feast.

 

The cat had finished the pile of mice and it was sitting on the ground, its eyes closed and its nose pointed neatly to the sky in saying thank you to the God’s above it right then. It had never guessed it would be granted such a meal just for traveling a great distance to return to freedom, and this is just how the cats confidence hit the top of the meter once again. That’s the cycle, the cycle that doesn’t stop for anything. No one would have guessed this cat had gone through this situation before, many times. Days before he was here, he had eaten a small pile of tiny animals and days later, it had happen again and days in the future, the cycle will continue and the animals each time will be the most silent thing as the silence has yet to break before paws thud onto the dry ground to awake the animals from their slumber, to crack the sacred silence.


The author's comments:

September 22, 2016