The Avalanche | Teen Ink

The Avalanche

By Maiwenn.J GOLD, Tirana, Other
Maiwenn.J GOLD, Tirana, Other

It felt like I had been stuck under the snow for an hour, although it had only been a couple of seconds. I tried remaining calm, but all I could think of was getting out. It was pitch- black under the snow; I could barely breathe. One of my skis was stuck to my foot, and the other one lost in the vast pile of snow. My shoulders and arms were in pain after tumbling down the steep slope. My body was shivering and I impatiently tried to move. The snow felt like cement; hard, thick and strong. My messy hair was blocking my face, my eyes were trying to get used to the dark, and my heavy, unrhythmic breathing was irritating me. I had taken a small flashlight with me in my backpack; the only problem was I didn't know where my bag was. I was in such an uncomfortable position. I tried moving but nothing worked. I felt exhausted.

***

I saw it all. I saw her tumbling down the slope five minutes after I arrived at the end of the steep hill. I saw the wall of snow racing down the mountain behind her. She tried gaining speed down the hill, but the snow flowing like water behind her quickly caught up. The sound that resembled lightning frightened me. I was shocked, watching Vanessa disappear under the pure white snow near a lonely tree. After everything calmed down, there was a moment of silence. I started to panic.

“VANESSA! Can you hear me?! VANESSA!” I said as I was shaking.

I looked at the mountain, wondering where she was buried. I remembered losing track of where she was right by the lonely tree. I removed my skis as fast as possible, and started running with the uncomfortable skiing shoes. As I got to the tree a few minutes later, I realized the sky was turning grayish, and clouds were blocking the shiny sun. I started to shiver. I couldn't help but think of Vanessa freezing under the snow. I remembered her only wearing a thin turtleneck and skiing pants. I recalled asking her why she was only wearing that. She responded to me that the weather forecast announced high temperatures. I was filled with the regret of not telling her to get back to her room, and take at least a sweater just in case.

***

“HELP! HELP! CAN ANYONE HEAR ME? JAMES! PLEASE COME!” I shouted.

I was cold and my hands could barely move. I started to regret not taking my coat and my sweater with me that morning. I felt trapped, like a prisoner who was innocent. What was I supposed to do, apart from wait? I kept telling myself I didn't want to die here, it felt like a stupid way of dying. It felt unfair. Tears were running down my face. I was helpless. The only thing I could do be patient. How was I supposed to stay patient in such a horrible situation?

For some odd reasons, I started to think of all of the things I had done in my life. I kept thinking of my accomplishments, my hard work, and the great times I spent with my family and friends. I had so many flashbacks popping in my mind nonstop. I had created a small air pocket in the snow. I didn’t know how long I would last under the snow. I was scared.  

***

I finally arrived near the tree where I last saw Vanessa disappear under the snow. I knew she had to be somewhere here. I looked around for any skiing sticks that could've given me a clue of where she was exactly. I didn't know what to do. I checked my phone, and tried to call the medics from the skiing station, who I knew really well. I called… No one was answering. I tried again… my mobile network stopped working. At this point I had no other solution, but to dig by myself. My hands were cold, but I knew this was a matter of time, before Vanessa stops breathing under there.

I start to shout her name, “VANESSA! CAN YOU HEAR ME?! VANESSA.”

***

My breathing was speeding up as well as my heart beat. I was panicking. I knew screaming wouldn't help, yet I felt helpless, and the only thing I could do was scream.

“JAMES, I’M HERE. JAMES…”

I continued to cry. I knew this was the end. There was no way I could get out. I kept thinking in my head, what if James didn't see me? I kept telling myself, I’m only seventeen, I’m only seventeen. This can't happen to me. It was the first time I hated the silence. I was angry and devastated at the same times. I was a rollercoaster of emotions. I took a deep breath in… and a deep breath out. I had to be patient. My hands were freezing cold. I had lost my gloves. I crossed my arms trying to warm myself. I tried to curl up into a ball. I closed my eyes. I felt tired. I start to hear something. It was James. I could hear him screaming my name. I started to shout again hoping he could hear me back. I heard his footsteps… I screamed even louder. The sound faded away.

“I’M HERE! JAMES. GET ME OUT OF HERE! JAMES!”

I could hear the sound of his footsteps on the crunchy snow above me, distancing themselves more and more. This was the end.

***

I stopped digging for a second, and started to walk around the tree. I had to find her. I knew she was right there, near that lonely tree. My heart was pounding out of my chest. I was panicking like I never had. I ran around the tree looking everywhere, for any kind of clue. I sat down for a second, to calm down. I got back up I looked and looked. Nothing. I go back to the hole I had started to dig. I looked around again, and then I saw a red thing on the snow, by the other side of the tree. I ran towards it. I picked it up and realize it was Vanessa's glove. I looked at my watch and realize it had already been 10 minutes since the time I saw her. I start to dig and dig nonstop. She had to be here.

***

I started to feel some kind of pain in my arm. I didn't know what it was. I tried finding my flashlight again. It had to be somewhere near. I started to touch the snow surrounding me, and I felt a piece of cloth. I tried to pull it, and realized it was the straps of my bag. I pull as hard as possible. The snow was so packed up together, that it was impossible to dig into it. I try again and got the front pocket of my back facing me. I opened it, and I searched for my flashlight. I had found it. I switched it on, which blinded my eyes. I felt more secure to see what was around me, even though I knew it was only white snow. I pointed the flashlight towards my hurting arm, and realized there is blood all over it. I started to feel dizzy and I knew I was going to faint. I stop looking at my arm and I started to scream again.

“JAMES! I’M BLEEDING! MY ARM IS HURTING!! CALL! GET ME OUT OF HERE!”

“JA---”

Last thing I knew… I blacked out.

***

I continued digging. I heard my phone ringing. The network was back, it was the medics who were calling me back. I answered the call.

“Hello! Hello! Can you hear me!” I say as fast as possible.

They responded, “Yes, hello, what can we do for---”

I interrupted, “My friend is stuck under the snow, there was an avalanche, it's been around 12 minutes that she is under it. I need someone to come help me. I think I know where she is.”

“Yes, give us your location, we are on our way, with an helicopter.”

“I’m on the highest mountain of the skiing station, on the black slope by a lonely tree. Please come fast!”

I hung up, and realized this wasn’t the end. I continued digging.

Five minutes later, the helicopter dropped down as I waved towards them. two men and a woman start running with some bags and shovels towards me. They asked me where she was. I told them how I found her glove right there, and that I started to dig near it. They started to dig with their shovels three big holes around the area I found the glove. Two minutes later, one of the guy screamed and told us he found something. We came towards him, and we could see one of Vanessa’s skis. We all start to dig there, and slowly we found Vanessa.

I felt relieved. We try to get Vanessa out of the hole.

“Hey! Vanessa, we got you out!” I tell her.

I realized she wasn't moving. We removed all of the snow that was blocking her, and I finally saw her beautiful face again. Her eyes were closed. I walked closer by her, and tried to reach for her.

“Vanessa? Can you hear me?” I say as I start to panic again.

I shake her a little, and realize she has blood all over her left arm. She was motionless.

It was too late...