An Encounter | Teen Ink

An Encounter

By JG0529 SILVER, Tirana, Other
JG0529 SILVER, Tirana, Other

When Emir was seven he was visiting his grandparent's house during summer break. The previous summer his grandpa had taught him a valuable lesson, if a scary dog approaches you should throw a rock at the dog and it will run away. Emir and his grandpa were relaxing in the yard and enjoying the sunshine. While playing outside he watched his grandpa tending to the plants in the garden. The women of the house were busy making dinner for the entire family. All of the extended family including, cousins, uncles and aunts were visiting for a big family dinner. Emir liked all domesticated dogs because they weren’t infected or super mean. He hated street dogs because they can be very dangerous, sometimes they bite and attack without warning or being provoked.

While Emir was in the yard he saw a pack of street dogs approaching his grandparents house. He began to feel scared and decided to throw a rock and see if the street dogs would run away. He threw the rock and a large tan dog started to bark and the dogs mouth began to foam. Unexpectedly, the dog started to chase him. He ran across the street into the neighbor's yard and circled back to his grandparents house. Emir was running as fast has he could and yet no one noticed the dog chasing him. He ran into the neighbors yard and through the street. The dog almost caught him and if he had he could have caused a terrible injury. He was probably chased for about fifteen minutes without anyone noticing. When his grandpa finally noticed he told Emir to run towards him as quickly as he could. As he ran towards his grandpa and the dog followed him. His grandpa yelled and repeatedly threw rocks at the dog. The large tan dog ran away back towards its pack. Emir thanked his grandpa because he scared the dog away, if he had not been there to help he would have had a big problem. Emir ran inside and told his Mom and grandma the story. They were very surprised that the dog didn’t catch him, and they were thankful that his grandpa scared the dog away. He was told by his Mother to go and shower and get dressed for dinner.

That night he told the story to the rest of his family and they thought it was a fake story and laughed at him. But Emir’s grandpa stood up for him and told his family that it was true and that he scared the dog away. The family believed his grandpa and were happy that the dog didn’t catch or bite Emir.  

To this day Emir does not like street dogs and is unsure about all dogs in general. Once he had a scary interaction with a dog he never trusted them again. Hopefully, one day he can change his mind after having a positive experience with dogs.