Lian's story | Teen Ink

Lian's story

March 19, 2009
By Anonymous

In a Mayan village, there lived two brothers. Their names were Quiat and Lian. They both had fallen on hard times recently because of a disease that had destroyed their crops. One day, Lian came over to his brother's farm.


“I have had enough!” he shouted as he entered the small farmhouse.


“There is nothing we can do but wait for the next harvest,” Quiat replied calmly.


“We could always go to the Zyncans for help.” Lian muttered, half to himself.


“NO!” screamed Quiat, his volume sending a vase he had on a shelf tumbling to the floor. “Their help will only bring Quetzalcoatl's wrath down on us. Their methods destroy the earth and disturb the holy cycle of life, death, and rebirth.” Liam just stormed out, and Quait became very worried.


Over the next few weeks, Liam decided to get help from the Zyncans. With their help, his farm had a new crop in just a few weeks, even though it was mid-winter. Lian sold his crop in the market, and made more than enough money to buy the necessities for the winter. That night, Lian was visited in a dream by Quetzalcoatl.


“What have you done?” Quetzalcoatl's voice boomed loudly. Lian had no answer. “You have disgraced the cycle for your own selfish greed, and for that, you shall be punished!” No one ever heard Lian's scream.


Meanwhile, Quiat had been caring for his farm. When spring came, his new crop flourished. He intended to take some to share with his brother the next day. That night, he was also visited in a dream by Quetzalcoatl.


“Your patience has been rewarded with a plentiful harvest. You respected the land, and the land now gives back. Your brother was not so lucky” and with that he was gone. The next day, he went to check on his brother. He was very disturbed by the dream.


Quiat never found his brother, but he did eventually find out that Lian went to the Zycans. He realized that Quetzalcoatl was not just a dream after all. He lived a long, plentiful life and never forgot that he must respect the earth and all living things.