One Last Time | Teen Ink

One Last Time

Seeing this wall again brings back numerous memories; some good, some bad, but nothing like now. My muscles quickly tighten and tense as I see my enemy approaching. Their immense numbers are much greater than ours, but our strength equalizes that factor…I hope. I can feel my pulse quicken as they keep coming. The marching feet against the cold, hard, strong stone quickens, for they are still coming…coming…coming. Sounds of chirping birds can no longer be heard, just chaos. That is the only word to describe it; the men are restless, as am I, we won’t stop moving. Our hearts are thumping so loud that each of us can almost hear our neighbor’s. Then we collide. Smells of fresh gunpowder reach my nose as the first cannon is fired; a hit, good. Salty, foul taste of sweat drips into my mouth even though I am hardly moving. Thoughts of why I am doing this amble into my head like a tortoise walking over bunches of enormous rocks. I have to keep reminding myself, this is for my country and my freedom. If I don’t keep telling myself this, I know I will try to leave this horrifying place. Men all around me, my friends, like me, have a prayer on their lips, hoping it would not be their last. The blasting cannons and guns seem to yank my eardrums out and rip them apart. I grudgingly remember that I am here for my country and my freedom, but all I can think about is how I want to see my wife and my daughter one last time…

Realjay41 DIAMOND, Culpeper , Virginia
Is this about ancient China or one of the American wars?

Axela17 GOLD said...
Axela17 GOLD, New Bremen, Ohio

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live by the body, I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." -Galatians 2:20

You definitely have potential. I wish it were longer, cuz it intrigued me and I wanted more details. I don't know much about china's history, so I can't confirm the accuracy of your facts. Something just hit me weird with all the gunpowder and cannons. Maybe they had cannons back then. IDK! It did add a nice effect though, so I hope for your sake that you're right!