Sacred Dancer Spirit | Teen Ink

Sacred Dancer Spirit

February 15, 2010
By KoolChik SILVER, St.Louis, Missouri
KoolChik SILVER, St.Louis, Missouri
9 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. . .And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. - excerpts from 1 Corinthians 13:4-13


Dear Chepi and Ehawee,


I see white men lurking around our village; the elders do not trust them. We send Chief Gahege to speak with them, but they do not understand what we say. Their native tongue is a mystery to me; they speak fast and loud as we do but their words are not the same.

I understand they have small white children and they set up camp in the open fields while we stay in the forest. Chief has warned us not to go near them but Ayasha is so small; she did not know any better. I went after her and saw how the white men and their families acted before they noticed us. They were so carefree the small white ones would play as the white men continued to build and create big houses. They are much like us in a way. But when they noticed us their eyes filled with anger and fear. I had Ayasha in my arms as one man stood up to us and spoke words I could not understand.

We backed away but the man followed. A voice called out; the white man looked back then stared at Ayasha and me while smiling a big smile. I was as frighten as she was; Ayasha is only half my size; I ran and did not look back. I think that’s why the white men are circling our village. I did not tell father, but do not be mad. If I told him, he would be furious with me.

How is it going hunting with the boys? If it is going bad I told you two it would, but if you all are having fun then good. I wish you both were here. Kaya thinks she is our mother now I told you all that and now since mother is dead, Kaya will not stop. While Father is on guard she tells us what to do and when to do it; she is nothing like mother. Mother was soft and sweet, but Kaya is hard and bitter like father.

I wish you, Ehawee, were here to make us laugh and I wish you, Chepi, were here to make us all calm and happy. Galilahi, the attractive, wants to get married to Hototo; it is hard to talk her out of it without my favorite twins here.

Sadly, Galilahi is not that much older than me and is with child, but Kaya will not stop yelling and telling Galilahi that she is worthless. I comfort her and help her through everything but that does not work, Galilahi brings herself down too. Hototo and she are never allowed to talk; she is so depressed. I think Kaya is jealous of how pretty her younger sister, Galilahi is.

I think the sickness that killed mother is killing Ayasha; I am scared. She is so pale and tired all the time. She is always sweating. If you all could send some herbs I think that would help. I have to take care of both Galilahi and Ayasha and I am starting to feel sick myself. Kaya is no help all she does is try to control everybody and I am tired of it. Father just lets her and does not care. He is upset with Galilahi and is not speaking to her, I am afraid he will do the same to me if I tell him my news.

He does not care for Ayasha either because she is always around Galilahi. He knows that Ayasha and I were missing but not why. I do not understand why he is so hard and rigid but I do not think he will speak to us until you all get back.
Please write me this time!
Love, Your Sacred Dancer and Wonderful Spirit,
Kachina