The Colors that Define Me: A Tribute to the Black Trans Movement | Teen Ink

The Colors that Define Me: A Tribute to the Black Trans Movement

By alienbaby SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
alienbaby SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Loud chants echo through my brain as I’m pulled through the crowd full of people carrying pink, blue, and white flags. My vision is blurry, but my voice is still strong enough to be heard by everyone around me. I scream the chants, not afraid of what is currently happening to me. A smile forms on my face as I see my people gathering together and showing the world that we are worthy of the rights that everyone else has.  My smile soon turns to a tight-lipped one as I’m shoved into the back of a police car. The protest has been nothing but peaceful, but still, they find any possible reason to arrest us. The car begins to pull off, and I look out the window watching the protesters as we ride through the crowd. I let out a big sigh and think back to how I got here.

“No such thing as a life that’s better than yours” “ plays loudly through my speaker as I lie in bed, wondering if I would ever get the chance to see my favorite artist, J. Cole, live. My mom bursts through my door with the most annoyed look on her face and tells me to turn my music down.

“Aleyuh, I’ve told you to turn your music five times already, and if I have to say it again I’m taking your speaker.”

“I’m sorry Mom I couldn’t hear you,” I said, turning my music down, knowing that I was lying.

My mom analyzes my face then her whole expression changes as a thought comes into her head. Sitting at the end of my bed, she pats the spot next to her signaling me to sit next to her. I uncover myself from my sheets and slide to the spot right next to her, feeling a bit anxious. 

‘’They’re out there protesting again,.’’ she says with a long sigh.

A frown forms on my face as that statement leaves her lips, and I try to think of a way to respond, but nothing seems to come out. Silence fills the room as we both sit on my bed wondering what move to make next. 

“I need to be out there with them, Mom,.’’ I squeak out.

She nods at me, knowing that I can’t just sit around and watch., She knows I want to fight for my community.

“We all need to be out there with them!” She says proudly with a smile shining across her face. 

My mom leaves my room, allowing me to get ready for the day ahead of me. I take a quick shower and throw on an outfit that includes the colors pink, blue, and white. I walk towards my door ready to leave when I remembered another crucial item I need for my outfit. I make my way back to my room and grab one of the face masks laying on my dresser, and then I make my way out of the house with the rest of my family. 

Arriving at the protest, I see crowds upon crowds of people; everyone has anger on their faces as shouts leave their mouths. Police surround the crowds waiting for any reason to stop us from fighting this fight. I inhale a breath of air before I step into the crowd, I feel tears trickle down my cheek already.

“Trans lives matter!” the crowd shouts.

That is the first thing I heard, and without a second thought, I join the chants. An hour passes by before the police begin to get violent with the protesters, even though we were nothing but peaceful. When I saw this, I knew I had to do something about it, so I climbed on top of the nearest car to me so I would be seen. I began to shout at the police to let the protesters go, and soon enough, I was joined by others. 

“We shouldn’t have to be ashamed of who we are!” I scream hoping to get my point across.

However, they didn’t seem to care about what I had to say, because, to them, I was just a disgrace to our country. 

“We must embrace who we are, we need to embrace our differences, we need to be okay with being different!’’ another protester shouts as they take the spot next to me.

Continuing our chants, I feel someone grab my arm and yank me off the roof of the car, and put me into their car. My bottom hits the hard plastic seat as I’m shoved into the back seat. I lay my head on the window as we head towards the station. I close my eyes and think of the day I just had and wonder when I will be treated as a normal citizen.