A Memoir From Time | Teen Ink

A Memoir From Time

March 5, 2020
By Bmhayt2001 BRONZE, New York City, New York
Bmhayt2001 BRONZE, New York City, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I remember traversing the sands of the Sahara with a little voice sitting next to me, whispering bitter nothings. The rushing waves of the Euphrates carrying me past Hammurabi’s frowning face. The Olmec stones, carved in the likeness of my family and laid to rest among the tropical trees. In 1929 when the market fell I was there among the riot on wall street, and they didn’t believe the newcomer when I warned them in 2008. I stood strong against the charge of a Mongol horde and boasted loudly within the House of Lords. When the wall came down they were rushing in from the east as myself and the guards watched on. I saw those soldiers shoot at the protesters outside of the Czar’s palace, and I witnessed the Ford’s theatre on the day of Lincoln’s murder. I was conversing with Pedro, the emperor of Brazil, when Garfield caught a bullet. I was striking with the workers when the Pinkertons showed up, and my face was among the senators when Caesar met his last day. I’ve been among wooly mammoths, trains, planes, and wagons. I was that voice whispering instructions in Nikola Tesla’s ear. I was the hand that guided Napoleon’s troops at Austerlitz. I was the sand churned by Rommel’s tanks in North Africa. My wings were those ridden by the Wright brothers at Kittyhawk, and my wind carried the Saturn V into the heavens. I was among those present when the American’s forced open the gates of Japan, and I was the hand of the great Shogun that closed them. I’ve been among great men, and evil alike. I’ve witnessed the rising of every tide of change in Europe, just as I guided the hand that drafted the Magna Carta. Mine eyes were shut from the thrust of Alexander’s lance. Mine eyes gazed upon the world at the summit of Mount Everest. I’ve seen everything from above and below, and ventured to the great horizon’s of this Earth. I am become Death, destroyer of worlds, and the fountain of my youth flows inside the bodies of every living being from New York to Calcutta. I am Humanity Incarnate, and I walk this Earth as a god among living beings, alive and not.


The author's comments:

The sands of time, winds of change, and rolling tides have seen everything