Monster | Teen Ink

Monster

By Starks GOLD, Hartford City, Indiana
Starks GOLD, Hartford City, Indiana

"Monsters don't hide under your bed they sleep in your head" Unknown

In this world, I have created and you have played in and changed there are three paths you can walk down. One is the choice the most people see first, the middle path of two extreme roads. This path is not perfect nor is it heaven or hell but it is instead like earth; having parts that are lit up by light and some shaded by parts of swirling darkness. The middle path is very worn down as many people’s feet have traveled down it and the familiar trees that line it have leaves and some do not. This path could be called the neutral line between two very extremes.

The second most traveled path is the one to the left one of the two extremes of this world. This path is only lit up by light and happiness twinkles in the eyes of everyone you meet down this path and those you save. A sweet and soothing smell comes off of this path tickling its way up your nose causing you to feel, good. This extreme path is the one that most people enjoy walking since unlike the middle path the left path seems more taken care of. Like a mother taking care of a child the left path calls and beckons you to spare them. This path could be called the pacifist line between one very extreme and the neutral path.

While both of these paths seem like good choices you decided something else. Your twisted mind chose the right path where no light shines at all. The voices screeching and calling your name towards the path won you over with sickening ease. This path has no road and no footsteps can be seen in the muddy ground, you are alone. The familiar trees are slumped over on the sides of the path their trunks and branches holding on for dear life and struggling to live. No green leaves, no green grass, no friends and no mercy. Why did you choose this? Why did you choose to kill all of them? Why…?

You chose to listen to the twisting and vile thoughts that screamed at you instead of the soft whispers or even your own common sense! Once you had metal in your hands there was no way to prevent what was going to happen; once you attacked. In this world of monsters, you were the only human and you had the choice to change this world. Yet… You decided to kill them. Who is the monster now? It doesn’t matter does it now since what you have done is over. Across the land, all of their ashes spread and this world where you could have changed it for the better is instead left in ruin. A crimson stain left in the place of a world full of beautiful creatures, monsters that did nothing to you and broken dreams. Now you walk with blood on your hands in a world full of humans, with you being the only monster among them. A wolf in sheep's clothing. 

Families were ripped apart and an entire world was destroyed at your hand. You affected so many people with the metal in your hand and in the end only became the monster yourself. This could have just been avoided, you could have just talked to them. Now no one is going to be able to see what you have done and your mind is only going to be slipping further and further faster and faster. Kill or be Killed.

I love playing games video games, board games, and one of those games I enjoy playing is called Undertale. This game is truly amazing to play and I loved playing it. My reason for bringing it up is for its story which can three paths, a genocide run, pacifist and a neutral run. I played pacifist and neutral but I could not bring myself to do the genocide run. Since it involves killing everything you come across even the characters in the game you are friends with and raised you. I thought that it could be fun to make a small story about each of these paths in an abstract way focusing on the genocide run. I wanted to show that everyone has the choice to be whoever they want to be but there are consequences to every path one travels down in life. In this case, I wanted to show what going down a more dark path could lead to. I focused mostly on what it can do to others around you rather than what it does to you directly. Undertale also has two worlds, the Monster world, and the Surface world. Since you are the only human in a monster world I decided to play with that idea flipping it on its head. Using it to show that people are never as they seem and that every coin has two sides.