The Fiery Stone | Teen Ink

The Fiery Stone

By Shilpa Ambadipudi BRONZE, Rocaway, New Jersey
Shilpa Ambadipudi BRONZE, Rocaway, New Jersey

No matter how many times I've been here, the pain never goes away. It's always fresh pain, my memory flooding with the horrible images of that day. I can't get rid of the events of the worst day of my life.

Walking around the remnants of what used to my house, I can still remember my mother screaming my name, blocked by the flames. Calling for me to come to her. But I can't.

It's so hot. I run upstairs, looking for Rose. Where is she? Not I my room, and not in hers. I check the bathroom. There she is. The fire is already enveloping the whole bathroom. I pick her up, hold her tightly, and run. I try to run downstairs but flames block my path.

Thinking quickly, I run back to my room, where I hear the sirens of fire engines. A sound that Rose hates more than anything in the world. Rose starts to cry. 'Mommy! Daddy!' she screams.

'Of course,' I think. 'She doesn't cry because of the fire, but she cries when she hears the fire engines.'

'Shhh, shhh, Rosie, don't cry. It'll be okay,' I soothe her, trying to convince myself everything would turn out okay. She stops crying.

I don't know what to do. The fire spreading quickly, now in my room. I act on an impulse. Not thinking at all, I open the window and hold Rose tighter. Then, I jump.

My stomach drops, like whenever I go on a freefall rides. I've always hated heights. But I love Rose, and I had to save her.

I feel myself landing on something soft but firm. I don't remember much except looking up into the face of a fireman. I think I landed in his arms. I hear Rose starting to cry again. Then, I'm out cold.
When I woke up, I was lying on a soft bed. I looked around. The fireman, my house, and the flames were gone. Rose was also gone. All I can see are beds on either side of me, and many kids. I was in an orphanage.
I sighed, brought back to the present. Running away from that place was the best thing I ever did. Looking for Rose was the best idea I ever had. Bob and Flo finding me was the worst fate that could ever befall anyone.

I sighed again, resuming my walk around the remnants. Suddenly, I see a red stone. It was sparkling like crazy. I pick it up and am horrified. Inside is something unreal'and the one thing I fear more than anything'even more than heights. Fire!
A tiny flame was in the tiny stone. I felt weak, and scared. I dropped the stome and started running, tears in my eyes. I swore never to return again. Never to go back to the place that brought me so much fright and hurt.
Of course, dropping the stone was a mistake. The flame inside the stone was released and started spreading quickly. I'm hot and I turn around. I am shocked to see the fire. I want to run, but my feet won't move. I know there's nothing I can do but let myself be enveloped by the flames. At least I'll never have to face fear and pain again.
I face the fire and close my eyes as the flames come closer'closer'until they take me away from the place called Earth, and lead to a place unknown.

I was writing the chapter of a novel I was working on, and decided this cahpter could make a great short story.