The Fiery Stone | Teen Ink

The Fiery Stone

March 13, 2009
By Shilpa Ambadipudi BRONZE, Rocaway, New Jersey
Shilpa Ambadipudi BRONZE, Rocaway, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

No matter how many times I've been here, the pain never goes away. It's always fresh pain, my memory flooding with the horrible images of that day. I can't get rid of the events of the worst day of my life.

Walking around the remnants of what used to my house, I can still remember my mother screaming my name, blocked by the flames. Calling for me to come to her. But I can't.

It's so hot. I run upstairs, looking for Rose. Where is she? Not I my room, and not in hers. I check the bathroom. There she is. The fire is already enveloping the whole bathroom. I pick her up, hold her tightly, and run. I try to run downstairs but flames block my path.

Thinking quickly, I run back to my room, where I hear the sirens of fire engines. A sound that Rose hates more than anything in the world. Rose starts to cry. 'Mommy! Daddy!' she screams.

'Of course,' I think. 'She doesn't cry because of the fire, but she cries when she hears the fire engines.'

'Shhh, shhh, Rosie, don't cry. It'll be okay,' I soothe her, trying to convince myself everything would turn out okay. She stops crying.

I don't know what to do. The fire spreading quickly, now in my room. I act on an impulse. Not thinking at all, I open the window and hold Rose tighter. Then, I jump.

My stomach drops, like whenever I go on a freefall rides. I've always hated heights. But I love Rose, and I had to save her.

I feel myself landing on something soft but firm. I don't remember much except looking up into the face of a fireman. I think I landed in his arms. I hear Rose starting to cry again. Then, I'm out cold.
When I woke up, I was lying on a soft bed. I looked around. The fireman, my house, and the flames were gone. Rose was also gone. All I can see are beds on either side of me, and many kids. I was in an orphanage.
I sighed, brought back to the present. Running away from that place was the best thing I ever did. Looking for Rose was the best idea I ever had. Bob and Flo finding me was the worst fate that could ever befall anyone.

I sighed again, resuming my walk around the remnants. Suddenly, I see a red stone. It was sparkling like crazy. I pick it up and am horrified. Inside is something unreal'and the one thing I fear more than anything'even more than heights. Fire!
A tiny flame was in the tiny stone. I felt weak, and scared. I dropped the stome and started running, tears in my eyes. I swore never to return again. Never to go back to the place that brought me so much fright and hurt.
Of course, dropping the stone was a mistake. The flame inside the stone was released and started spreading quickly. I'm hot and I turn around. I am shocked to see the fire. I want to run, but my feet won't move. I know there's nothing I can do but let myself be enveloped by the flames. At least I'll never have to face fear and pain again.
I face the fire and close my eyes as the flames come closer'closer'until they take me away from the place called Earth, and lead to a place unknown.


The author's comments:
I was writing the chapter of a novel I was working on, and decided this cahpter could make a great short story.