Surrounded | Teen Ink

Surrounded

March 22, 2016
By PencilPoint SILVER, Newton, Massachusetts
PencilPoint SILVER, Newton, Massachusetts
9 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But if we don't have the power to choose where we come from we can still choose where we go from there."- Perks of Being a Wallflower


My hand presses against wood. The floor is cold to the touch and I am naked. Raising my head I survey the room around me. There's no door in sight. There are no windows, no walls, only mirrors. If it were not for the enclosed nature of the room I would have assumed I was in a dance studio. The lighting in the room is bright. I wait for my eyes to adjust as I wake from my stupor.
I walk over and press my hands against the mirrors. They are solid. There is no way out.
"Someone help me!" I yell.
No answer comes.
Eternity seems to pass as I stand there, banging on the glass. Here I am, stuck in this room, surrounded by my worst enemy, myself.
"I hate you!" I yell at my reflection. The floor shakes and I fall over, my knees buckling as I crash to the ground. The mirrors move inward, making the room even smaller.
I stand up and walk back to my reflection. "Why aren't you normal?"

The floor shakes again and the mirrors move in. I continue to shout insults at myself until the mirrors are so close together that I can barely even stand up.
"Help!" I yell. "Somebody help me!" Nobody answers my plea and soon my shouting turns to silence. Scrunched up in a ball on the floor I begin to sob. Pulling myself up I turn and face my reflection one last time. I take in everything that I hate. The pudginess, the rolls of fat near my belly, the scars, my cracked lips and puffy red eyes, the things on the inside nobody can see but me.
Looking myself in the eye I whisper: "I love you."
The room disappears.


The author's comments:

This piece is about self-love and self-hate which is something that I think everyone at some point or another struggles with.