The Emotions and Thoughts of an Adult Deer Tick | Teen Ink

The Emotions and Thoughts of an Adult Deer Tick

By MarieBitant SILVER, Franklin, Wisconsin
MarieBitant SILVER, Franklin, Wisconsin

In a vast forest there lived countless creatures all of which different from the last but two of these creatures more peculiar than the rest. One, pure white, four legged creature held the universe within itself, standing six feet off the ground in addition to an extra 6 inches that pierced out of the center of its head and this creatures undeniable beauty left the world in disbelief of its existence. The other creature  was one of thousands of its kind, all identical in appearance, and possessed a brain too small to think, to feel, and was too small to even be acknowledged by the word but the story of this creature is one that can only be told by the creature itself...
It is so dark in here. I know I must be here to survive, to eat. I am inside host as I have been many other times but clearly this time is different. All of these things are flooding my head and I have never felt this way in fact I have never felt at all. Pulling my tiny head out of the host, everything I never knew, never remembered, or never thought about hit me. I am 2,495 one of the many larva born from my mother. I am an adult deer tick who for some reason now can think.
My 8 hairy brown legs creep up and down the host through its snow white fur it is then that I obtain the knowledge of who I am and how other creatures see me. So much hatred fills my body where the blood from host lies but how could the other creatures despise me for what I am, I only do what I must to live.  A sensation of something waves over me and I begin to feel like the parasite the world sees me as, I feel sad. Trying to reflect on my life, to find good in my existence I see none and I only see the damage I have caused along with all of the beings I have murdered from the diseases I spread.  I do not like these sensations I have obtained from host I much rather prefer the mindless microscopic body I once was. I want to jump off host now.
Leg after leg I move forward through the earth that lays below me and the blades of healthy grass that tower above. In front of me the grass clears as I reach a cliff's edge able to now see I pull my tiny head up and observe the life surrounding me. I see more trees than I can count, I can hear the buzzing of the insect and the chirping of the birds, and I feel the life inside of me that I neglected to feel before and then suddenly something extraordinary bubbles within me. Something reflects the emotions I had felt before. What I see before me is life. Each individual creature is simply surviving. Sure some survive differently but neverless they are only living as am I and I will continue to.