I am here | Teen Ink

I am here

By Yoela PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington
Yoela PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

"My powers stretch over the horizon and work even when my eyes are closed"

Call me pretentious. Is my sneer bossy? It’s only war paint. It is a facade to belie the truth. Of my fear. Can’t see past the surface? Past the surface that hides my hope drowning in despair’s tsunami?

I am a failure. An eluding sense of comfort taunts from afar. It laughs at my feeble attempts to catch up as it dances away in heels I would kill for. Meanwhile, the physical me, dissolves in a puddle of ash, falling behind, behind. Floating. Floating away. Lost in the wind. Swept away. No. I. Can’t. Give. Up. But I’m gone. Gone. I wish I were...

... and I am. I am a masterpiece. A perfect puzzle of self consciousness, yet outgoing, capable, and adventurous.

I am a prankster. While my teachers admire my steadfast focus, I sit in scheming meditation, plotting a devilish attack on my deserving older brothers. The challenge is tantalizing. I taste it. Success. On the tip of my tongue. It is bitter, yet enticing. I long for it. I dream of being...

...and I am. A warrior. I spend hours a week training for battle. The battle that is life. But more and more of late, I look in the mirror, and the snarling face that glints in the glass is the one I truly fight with. I will win, must win. Or there will not be any of me left. Nothing at all. Just a brittle shell shrivelled. Incapable of tears.

The tinkling of broken glass rains down, down, and my feet prickle in protest against this unauthorized ambush. I should sweep up my disastrous fury, that once held the face of my foe, but instead, all I can do is collapse onto the gritty reality that cuts under my skin.

I am a survivor. Still alive. Still fighting. Battered and bruised, but here. My limbs are strewn across the road, and smashed into the earth, I find myself gathering the pieces, and gluing them back together. Not a pretty sight, but I am proud of it. A wounded hero. The only one who can stand up for myself. And so, I do. Because it is all that I can do.