The Vexatious Woman | Teen Ink

The Vexatious Woman

The circus came to Wisconsin and my parents thought they can deal with this child. When I was two years old my parents gave me away. I guess they couldn’t handle all of my temper tantrums. My parents were not educated and every time they tried to discipline me their efforts were ineffectual.
They dressed me in one outfit and didn’t pack anything else for me. I kept asking, “Where are you taking?” The morning before we left they said they were taking me to see the circus. I was so excited because I have never been to the circus before. My parents let me go on the- marry- go- round by myself. When I got off they weren’t there. I started to panic. A vexatious old woman picked me up and took me into a circus truck. In the truck were a bunch of clowns. They never saw a human before. The clowns scrutinized me from head to two. Then she gave me to her sister who was a nefarious old woman.
The nefarious old women had a malady that allowed her not able to take care of me, so she tried to give me away to the clowns, but the clowns loathed her request. She decided to ask the man in charge of the circus. He had three kids of his own, so he didn’t mind taking care of me too. I liked living with the man he was very amicable. He fed me, gave me clothes, and a warm bed to sleep in.
When I turned five he gave me the choice to either go to school or join the circus. I told him I loved him, but I wanted to go to school. He let me go to school and I became an astute young woman that he was very proud of.
When I was in high school I wanted to find my real parents. I solicited to every person on our block. I looked on the internet, but there was no sign of them anywhere. I was disappointed, then I thought to myself they probably don’t care about me so why should I care about them. I loved my family and was glad they raised me into the person I am today.